Part 16

"You okay? Is Ray getting heavy?" Klaus questions. For god sake, the constant teasing and niggling between these two was driving me insane.

"I'm fine." Stefan huffs out, clearly fed up with Klaus.

"I'm not." Dara inputs from behind the group, dragging along. She is very clearly tired and, in grand summary, done with this little trip. I am feeling exactly the same.

"You sure about that?" Klaus continues to push Stefan, ignoring Dara's comment. "You know, we've been walking for quite some time now."

"Really? The time has been flying by for me." Dara sarcastically comments, stumbling over a root on the path.

"If you need some water or a little sit-down." Klaus trails off.

Stefan, very clearly bored, scoffs. "You know, I get that we're, uh...we're stuck together, but if we could maybe just skip the chit chat, it'd be great."

Klaus continues with his walking, replying. "So much brooding. Your self-loathing is suffocating you, my friend. No one else is complaining as much."

"Oh, don't worry about little old me." Dara sulks. "I'm just the friends we haven't made along the way."

"Really." I look over at Dara, who shrugs her shoulders and walks past me.

"Maybe it's cause I'm a little tired of hunting werewolves." Stefan says, pointing out a clear reason for the entire group's down mood.

"Thanks to our pal Ray, we've found ourselves a pack." Klaus states as we approach a campsite bustling with people. I cough and Klaus turns to me. "And with the influencing skills of Kehlani." I smile, thanking him.

Stefan walks into the centre of the camp before dropping Ray to the ground. A woman comes rushing over go him, crouching down next to Ray. "Ray! Oh my God!" She screams, checking to see if Ray was okay before glaring up at Stefan. "What's going on? Who are you?"

Klaus walks into the view of the woman and the rest of the people in the camp. "Tge important question is who am I. Please forgive the intrusion. My name is Klaus."

The woman quickly stands, backing away towards a blonde man. "You're the hybrid."

Klaus smiles confidently at the group. "You've heard of me. Fantastic."

It has been what feels like an eternity sitting on at the base of a tree with Dara next to me, listening to Klaus boast about himself to the unwilling audience of werewolves. I could literally feel myself falling asleep, boredom overcoming me in waves.

"It's fascinating actually." I'm sure it is, for you. "A werewolf who isn't beholden to the moon, a vampire who doesn't burn in the sun." Klaus smiles. "A true hybrid."

Ray gasps, jolting upright, startling me and Dara, who I'm pretty sure was also struggling to stay awake. "Excellent timing Ray." Klaus states.

"Very dramatic." I add, rolling my eyes. Klaus shoots me a look, which is ridiculous but I know how important this is for him so I stay silent.

"What's happening to me?" Ray questions, looking around fairly confused.

"Stefan.." Klaus glances over to Stefan, who is also sitting on the big rock Klaus was on.

Stefan reluctantly stands, looking over the crowd who start backing away cautiously. "Are any of you human? You friend here needs human blood to complete his transition to a vampire. If he doesn't get it, he will die." Stefan bluntly states.

"Doesn't take much. Just a sip." I add, looking to the werewolves.

"Anyone. Girlfriend, boyfriend, along for the ride." Dara continues, slowly standing from where she was sitting next to me. She looks across the crowd before pinpointing one extremely nervous-looking man. "You." She points towards him. Klaus rushes over to him, biting into his arm before throwing him at Stefan who pushes him to the ground in front of Ray.