Part 15

1203, France

"Greetings, your majesty." I hear from behind me. I turn to see a man stood behind me and recognise him as one of Rebekah's brothers. "I am Lord Niklaus."

"Ah, yes. Greetings, my lord." I respond, curtsying. Goodness, I will always tire of the constant curtsying. "What is it that I can do for you?"

"Nothing of importance. I was wondering if you would walk with me?" He asks.

"Of course." I turn and join him as he begins to walk.

"So, my sister Rebekah tells me you are looking for a husband." And there it is, the reason why every man has wanted to speak to me since my father decided he wanted me to marry.

"Yes." I murmur, completely sick and tired of the constant questioning.

"I see." Niklaus seems to contemplate for a second. "And how is it that you feel about that?" I'm sorry, excuse me. Someone is actually curious as to how I feel? I fear the world is coming to an end.

"I am not sure. I do wish to marry but the feeling of every eligible and otherwise bachelor wishing for my hand in marriage and to gain the power they will have by being my husband." I feel myself opening up to this man I hardly know. I don't know why but I feel I can trust him.

"Hmm." He hummed. Niklaus then turned and began walking way, before turning back after a couple of steps. "It was nice to meet you, your majesty."

"Please, call me Kehlani." I reply.

●○~◇~○●
1204, France

"My goodness, my lord, you simply mustn't say such things." I giggle, walking through the gardens.

"Now why must I not?" Niklaus asks, his arm looped through mine.

"Because they are simply not words to be spoken by men of your status." I respond.

"Kehlani. Kehlani." Dara rushes over to me, almost slamming straight into me. "You will not believe it. You simply will not."

"What is it, Dara?" I question, confusion written over my face.

"You know how Lord Huddley has been continually attempting to marry you, but you continued to deny his proposal?" Dara asks. I nod, still confused. "Well, you see, father has accepted his proposal on behalf of you. I have just gotten news of it from Aaron. He was there. It was in court as well, meaning now everyone knows you are to marry Lord Huddley."

"No..no. That is absolutely ridiculous. I do not wish to marry." I shake my head, trying to deny this new knowledge. "I apologise, my lord. I have other duties to attend to." I turn and practically run towards the castle. I head up numerous flights of stairs, turning left and right, Dara panting behind me. I come to a room and charge in, swinging the tall, wooden doors in. "You accepted Lord Huddley's proposal despite my constant refusal?" I practically scream at my father.