Chapter 1

Peace and happiness that's all I ever wanted for myself. I grew up in pretty decent conditions. My father loved me and my brother very much. He never let us feel the emptiness that my mother's death left in our lives.

I grew up in a joint family. Grandparents, uncle, aunts, cousins everyone lived under the same roof. It's really cool to live with all your siblings. My childhood was the best time of my life. We played together, ate together slept together and even pranked the adults. I got punished a lot because of them but it was all forgiven over a deal of sweets. Those days were golden. Well enough crying over the past. Today is my engagement. Yes I am finally making it official with my love, my life, my Vaibhav.

Vaibhav and I met during my teacher training in Delhi. He was the son of the hostel owner. We met a lot as I was practically living at his father's place. I don't know what it was about him that impressed me first but I remember the feeling it gave me. It felt like I was on cloud nine. His smile, his cute little dimple and mostly shabby hairstyle, everything gave me butterflies.

One day out of curiosity I asked him how he felt about me. The look he gave me was so funny and cute at the same time.

"Siya, you shouldn't be the one initiating this conversation." He said rubbing the back of his neck.

"Why? If I want to know something, I simply ask about it." I folded my arm and took a step towards him.

"That's okay but you should think about me." He said looking down.

"You don't like me?" I asked.

"I do." He immediately said and then looked at me in disbelief. I was shocked at his sudden confession. I thought he would hesitate a little but I was wrong.

"Oh...okay." woah, he like me? Me? Oh my god.

I didn't say anything else and he thought I was rejecting him. He came closer to me and grabbed my hand in his.

"Siya, please give me a chance. I know it's going really fast. You may also think I am crazy but I really really like you." He looked at me with such intensity that I couldn't hold his stare. Say something Siya, ugh.

"I...I know."

Huh...

"Oh so that's a yes?" He said now looking at me confused.

Yeah right, now's the time to freeze.

"Uhh..huh." really?

He let out the breath he was holding and pulled me in for a hug. I melted into his arms and forgot everything.

"That's a definite yes." He said holding me gently.

That was the start of our three year relationship. I told my family about him a month ago. They were not happy because it was love marriage but we convinced them. We live in India, caste system is still very prevalent here. Him being of another caste was a major setback in our relationship acceptance program. Our love for each other and his stable financial status helped me a lot in convincing my family. It's not like I don't earn enough, I do.
But my family still doesn't considers it important. It's Indian math, somehow what a girl earns doesn't matter in a relationship.

Well back to my engagement. I am currently getting ready to meet my love. I am wearing a  beautiful lavander lehenga set with matching jwellery. I asked Vaibhav to twin with me and wear the same shade as my duppatta which is off white.

"You want to tie him around your dupatta na?" asked Mehek, my cousin.

"Ew stop talking like that or your hair is gonna turn grey." I teased her.

Mehek was my biggest supporter. She helped me a lot in convincing my family especially my father.

"Let's go di, jiju must be restless."

"Let him wait a little." I said touching up my makeup a last time.

"Oh come on, you are so pretty already don't overdo it. Keep it simple and sweet."

"Says the one who took two hours to get ready?" I said lifting an eyebrow.

"Stop dwelling in the past, let's go." Can't get mad at her today,  I love her too much.

"Okay okay let's go."

We are going to Delhi. As the groom's side arranges engagement in our family and we will host the wedding. Engagement is actually a mini wedding.

Dad, Mehek and I will go in our car and the rest are coming in a bus.

"So pretty beta, you look lovely...wow di..." I recieved so many compliments by the time I sat in the car. Dad was a bit emotional on seeing me but I had him promise me that he won't cry.

"Omie...omie.." I called to my brother.

"Yes di?" He said, looking as handsome as ever.

"Take care of everyone in the bus and see to it that no one creates a mess, you know how important this is for me." He nodded and left for the bus.

"Ready?" Asked Mehek as she sat beside me.

"I am." I smiled waiting to see him.

I wish I knew what was about to happen. I wish I had left few minutes earlier. I wish I wasn't so unlucky. I wish.