PART ONE: CHAPTER 2

Start from the beginning

"Prisoner 713, step forward." The jailer's eyes were as cold as winter themself. Ember supposed that if you joined the Empire you did not care about anyone but yourself. Every Sargi he had ever encountered was emotionless- they were numb. Numb just like I shall be after they finish with me. The Man In Red did as he was told. The jailer took him to an empty room. Anna had overheard some of the Sargis talking about a torture chamber. When you were dragged to it it was impossible you would return alive. Ember had never been there. Shock injured him more than the torture would.

"Why am I here? I have heard tales of this place. I have seen the bodies you take out of here. Answer me truthfully, is this the end for me?"

"It depends on how you view it, Prisoner 713. We can make this the end, or a new beginning. Perspective is everything. No more questions shall be asked for the remainder of your time in this room."

The guard slammed the heavy, metal door shut. Ember still lugged his chains around. The metal had rusted for it had been months since he first arrived at the Doors of Death. I am going to die. Anna. I cannot leave her here alone. I have to get her here.

"Get me, Prisoner 714!" The prisoner shouted. "If you are going to kill me, I want to see her one last time. Please, I will answer anything you want me to!"

Ember had been right from the very start. Nobody in the room did as he requested. They did not listen to a peasant like him, for they took orders from the Emperor and the Emperor alone. They tied his body to a stone table. The younger version of him would have resisted; he knew the place too well. Surviving was simple if you did not resist.

"Prisoner 714, why have you been brought here?"

"Because I am a piece of scum who is not a valuable asset to the Emperor. My race has done wicked things to mortals and now we shall be punished for our crimes," He had the answer memorised for when they took people there, he listened to what went on, "However, I am also here because I am too dangerous to be in Aevuhan. The Emperor wants someone to blame for his mistakes. His father died not because of us, but because of his pure stupidity. I am here for no reason just like everyone else who stays in this shithole."

The beatings landed immediately after he finished his sentence. Most people go insane after a long period of time in such a revolting place. Ember could be classed as one of them.

"Oh please, is that all you have got? Hurt me even more, because why not? Go on, make me suffer for being the INNOCENT person I am! What have I ever done to deserve this?"

Magic worked in a very simple way in the world of Aevuhan. If people with magical blood present in them reached enough energy, they could channel it and use it to their advantage. For some it took a while to awaken the long lost force that was inside of them, however, it came naturally for some. Ever since Ember was old enough to walk, he had been taught to manipulate magic in a way that old warlocks spent centuries trying to perfect. Great power could be his but the question was, what would he do with it? They will bring Anna in soon. I know it.

"You want to know what makes me angry? When people that do bad things have nothing other than good things happen to them. Everyone here is rotting in their cells. What is the Emperor doing at the moment? He is sitting on his throne and just watching it all unfold-"

"SILENCE!" The Jailer ripped the ropes that tied Ember to the table and pinned him up against one of the walls in the torture chamber.

"You do not tell me what I fucking do, nobody does!" He turned the Jailer's body around and using the chains on his hands strangled the man. "Get me Prisoner 714 or you will watch one of your men die!"