Chapter 13: Language of Flowers

Start from the beginning

However, now he stood to lose it all.

The stars in her eyes were dying, her enchanting smile was wavering and the longing in her voice was fading. The warmth of her touch, the laughter in her voice, the happiness on her face--- all these precious moments were at risk.

"Do something fast. Or you lose me forever," she'd said.

But what could he do?

What could he give her that would assure her of his love without him having to say the words out loud?

Dev let out a long-suffering sigh.

He had no fucking idea what he to do! And he had no one he could confide in.

Ayaansh was out of question. His grandfather would much rather disown him than advise him on this.

His mother...well, they rarely saw eye to eye on such matters. Yet, she was the only one who understood what it was like to love someone with such fervour that could set the world ablaze. And her words, however utopian, stuck with him.

Dev glanced at the clock and got up.

He walked down the hallway to where her room was.

But even as he arrived at her door, he knew it was a terrible idea.

He shouldn't burden his mother with his problems. It would only stress her. And since when have their ideologies ever matched? He should focus on what's bothering her, instead. That would be the easier thing to do. The sensible thing to do. The right--

He knocked on the door and waited a beat before allowing himself in.

The room was dim, illuminated only by the gentle glow of the oriental bedside lamps. Their faint gleam reflected upon the wood of the four-poster bed that was pushed against the centre wall. A plush bench sat near its foot, facing the wall-mounted TV. Two sets of cupboards ran along the opposite wall.

Soft beams of moonlight shimmered through the large window overlooking the balcony, dancing delicately across the pale walls and wooden furniture.

Ruhani sat on the window seat. Her silhouette shone under the silver moon as she peered outside, her fingerprints smudging the glass.

She had changed into her evening wear- a simple cotton kurta and Palazzo. Locks of her hair came loose from her braid. The tote bag that she took to work lay discarded on the dressing table and her phone was next to her. While encased in her arms was a book that she held close to her chest. But she was not reading it anymore.

Her back faced him as she stared at the inky shadows of tall trees lining the backyard.

She was frowning too.

Dev followed her gaze but could see nothing but blackness outside.

His mother had not heard him enter yet---too lost in her head.

He cleared his throat to get her attention.

Her back stiffened.

She gave a startled gasp and whipped her head around.

Her bluish-grey eyes wandered wildly in the darkness before settling on him. They squinted at him to focus, looking like shards of moonlit ice.

"Dev."

He came forward so she could see him more clearly.

Time and again he had offered to put more lights in the rooms to save her eyesight but Ruhani refused, saying that harsh light hurt her eyes more.

"Who else, Ma?" He frowned.

Her tensed muscles relaxed a bit. However, Dev could still see a subtle tremor course through her.