chapter 13

Xia Xun stayed in the corner of the wall for too long, which aroused Zhi Gui’s suspicion. She stepped forward slowly and said softly:

“Young Master, what do you want to do? Shall this slave help you?”

Xia Xun stood up immediately:

“It’s nothing.”

He kicked  the soil a few times, filling the pit dug out by Yuzhu to cover the exposed wall.

Qi Hui stood ten steps away from him, holding the sword hanging from his waist, guarding him responsibly.

It was impossible for Xia Xun to go back to Xia Mansion with Yuzhu under the supervision of these two people. He had to wait for the opportunity.

He thought of the potion the Hu gave him.

Yuzhu refused to give up and walked back and forth along the base of the wall.

Xia Xun picked him up and went straight back to the house, pretending that nothing happened.

At dinner time, when Zhi Gui served the dishes, he asked her: “Is Qi Yan back yet?”

Zhi Gui replied:

“The lord hasn’t returned yet. Is Young Master looking for him for something?”

Xia Xun shook his head and said nothing.

When Zhi Gui served him a bowl of soup, he looked outside the house and said:

“Apart from Qi Hui in the yard, why are there no other guards?”

“Young Master said that he liked it to be quiet,” Zhi Gui replied, “so the lord withdrew everyone else, leaving only this slave to serve and Qi Hui responsible for Young Master’s safety.”

Xia Xun relaxed.

He pretended to be distracted, took a few sips of soup, then put down the spoon and asked Qi Hui who was standing by the door:

“Where did your lord go?”

Qi Hui said that Qi Yan got an invitation and went to a banquet.

Xia Xun carelessly stirred the soup in the bowl:

“He is running around, why don’t you guard him?”

Qi Hui replied:

“After last night, the lord is very worried about your safety. He left this subordinate to take good care of you every step of the way, and…” He stared at Xia Xun. “With all due respect, in the heart of the lord, you are much more important than him.”

Xia Xun ate the dishes brought by Zhi Gui without saying a word.

When the dinner was over, Zhi Gui removed the bowls. It was getting dark, the flowers and the trees in the courtyard melting into the night.

Xia Xun asked Zhi Gui to come to make tea.

Zhi Guigui hesitated slightly:

“Young Master, I’m afraid it will be difficult to fall asleep after drinking tea at night.”

Xia Xun said, “Don’t worry about this, just make the tea.”

She did as he said, set up the tea set on the table and turned to find the tea can.

Xia Xun was holding the medicine bottle given by the Hu man tightly in his hand. Taking advantage of the time when Zhi Gui turned to pick up the tea, he quickly opened the bottle cap, held his breath and blew lightly at her.

The Hu man didn’t lie to him. The fragrance took effect far faster than he thought. In the blink of an eye, Zhi Gui collapsed to the ground.

The sound of her falling alarmed Qi Hui and he ran in quickly.