III - Consequences

The wide dual-colored eyes of azure and yellow stared at where Mary had gone off to, Vernie Evergarden wanted to continue pursuing the latter but she held back

The wide dual-colored eyes of azure and yellow stared at where Mary had gone off to, Vernie Evergarden wanted to continue pursuing the latter but she held back. She hadn't been too proper in taking Mary away from the looming danger in her home, no wonder the reaction she got was negative.

Staring down at her hand, Vernie blinked with a thought, I could never communicate with Mundanes properly, it's hard to physically manifest what I want to express. Then a short flash in her head–a radiant smile of a voluptuous blonde woman, the words spoken by those naturally pink-tinted lips repetitively heard by Vernie.

"You will never be a stranger nor far away from me. There is no barrier in between." These specific words spoken by that woman, Vernie kept safely in the recesses of her mind–never wanting to forget or have it slip away.

Vernie conjured her snow-white scythe, swinging it around and blocking an attack from behind–it clashed against another scythe but this one was black and gray. She already felt this presence while she was deep in her musing.

"Phoenix" The pale-haired girl spoke softly but underneath was steel, she narrowed her gaze slightly.

There was a brief, tense silence before the new arrival spoke coldly. "Vernie" She had long purple hair tied up in a stylized bun, with heterochromatic eyes too but different in color. Her eyes were electric blue and a shineless magenta on the right. "You are not as fragile and innocent as you make yourself to be,"

"Whatever do you mean by that..." Vernie pulled back, their weapons still raised in case either one decided to attack again.

Phoenix swayed her black scythe and made it vanish in her palm, "You know what I am talking about, you are well aware that we are not to roam this plane casually yet you never stopped and here you are, countering the Flow of how things are supposed to be"

"The Flow is not absolute, nothing is set in stone or predetermined" Vernie countered gently but she was not willing to back down.

An irritated expression contorted on Phoenix's face followed by a subtle wince, she turned away from Vernie as if to hide the pain she was bearing. "Do anything to disrupt the fate of this world and see how big the chaos that follows, if things get completely out of hand, Evergarden, know that I will not hesitate facing you and setting things right"

As the pale-haired girl always knew among her kind, Phoenix was the most distant and aloof towards humans, mages, and other creatures. They were opposites of each other, more than once they clashed not just in beliefs but also in fighting and ended up in a stalemate.

"If I prove to you that things can still end up for the better by disrupting the Flow then you will not do any eradication" Vernie gave her ultimatum.

Phoenix began walking away, "Fine, if you make sure indeed that she will not end up in the same dark path, I am not gonna get in the way"