Chapter 3: The trip

{Joeys Pov}

"Daniel!"

I called out as I entered his new bedroom, which consisted of a dresser, a closet, a bed, a desk and a chair. My parents had filled the dresser and closet with clothes, and the desk had books on it. Daniel slept with a red bed set, even a red comforter and red pillows.

I switched the light on and Daniel groaned loudly.

"Joey I swear..."

He mumbled and I sat down beside where he laid on the bed and I pushed the hair out of his eyes with one hand and shook his shoulder with the other.

"Daniel, wake up. Please. We have to go looking for crystals."

He slowly sat up on his bed. He looked up at me and smiled.

"You really want to go? It can get pretty dirty."

Daniel yawned and stood up, stretching. He was wearing a white t-shirt and boxers. I nodded vigorously, being excited to get some fresh air.

"Yes! I never go outside anymore. I called a cabbie to take us to these crystal caves."

Daniel chuckled as he slipped into some trousers.

"There's no roads where we're going, Joseph. We'll be taking your horses, I'm afraid."

"That is also fine. I'll have my mom cancel the pick up. Do you need anything?"

"We'll need some tools for mining. Do you have any?"

"I'm sure my father has some."

"Good, good."

Daniel buttoned a long sleeved Jean shirt, and pulled a maroon vest on top of the shirt.

"Is red your favorite color?"

I asked, and awkwardly leaned against the wall. This room used to belong to an older lady, who Mother insisted was my grandmother and Father insisted the she wasn't. Father assumed she was an old hag that my mother had pitied, and was kept onto the illusion that this was her long lost birth mother. Father didn't believe any of it.

And now that she is deceased, and due to strange circumstances, Daniel occupied her old room.

"There's lots of reasons to enjoy the color. It's a color of passion and strong desire, for whatever you may be passionate about."

"Love."

I whispered softly.

"Sure, love is surely one of them. But so is blood, or death. There is a long, wide scale of things people do and love to do. Mercy doesn't exist among the gift that humanity has given itself."

I cocked my head,and stared at the taller lad who was putting on leather boots.

"Cruelty."

I chuckled lightly before realizing how serious Daniel was. How cruel had the world been to him? The air wreaked of pessimistic thoughts and gloomy aroma.
"You believe humanity is the only species to be cruel? God had sent his best friend to be the ruler of Hell. Lions rip out the throats of zebra. We are not the only ones to be cruel, friend."

"God is a sadist. Thirty people drowned at sea on their way to preach to foregin lands."

"Are you persisting that God does not love his children?"

"I'm perssisting that God would take pleasure to see the roof of one of his churches crumble and crush the lost souls inside every once and awhile. I believe he would relish in it. If everything is God's plan, than why wouldn't he enjoy it? Why would he love his children?"

I slapped Daniel strong across the face, my flat palm crashing against his cheek.

"You're a demon and a satanist."

I yelled at him, and he caught my hands before i could hit him again and pinned me against the wall.

"I am an imperfect product of your perfect god. If a blacksmith is perfect his iron cannot be imperfect. I am no satanist, I lie to think of myself as one of the rebelious. Do not make me hurt you, master."

Daniel released my hands, his hair curled and draped over his dark eyes. He threw on his burlap sack backpack.

"Do not forget this, Daniel- you are my slave for life."

"Only for as long as you live, master. Shall we go now?"

*

We made it to the pastures where we both picked a horse. I let Daniel lead the way, considering I didn't know where we were going. If he was leading me to my death, I wouldn't know. If it was God's will, I wouldn't understand.

"It isn't far, about a mile and a half east of here. I've been here before, with my mother when I was a young boy. We mined coal, mainly. But there is a cave spexifically for crystals. My mom owned a cart which she would roam the town pushing and selling crystals on the weekend. I took up her occupation when she fell ill."

"What did your father do?"

"My father wasn't a large part of my life. He wasn't really any part of my life. He spent a summer with my mother while I was still a twinkle in her eye, and he was gone months before my birth. My mother moved from town to town because of shame and spite as I grew into a young man, and she swore up and down that if she ever found my father, his testicles would be in an old jelly jar."

"That's quite vulgar. Is your mom still moving, even in your absence?"

Daniel sighed as we rode steadily into the forest on our horses.

"I have no idea of knowing if she is even still alive. I don't know if I want to know. I hate to think something horrid happened to her, I would hate even more to know."

I wondered if because of Daniel's past, maybe that's why my mother had spared him.

"You're interesting, Daniel."

"I'd hate to be boring."

Soon enough, Daniel called his horse to a hault and I did the same for mine.

"Tie your horse to a tree, so it doesn't run. This is our stop. The caves are up about a quarter mile from here, but the path is steady enough for the horses."

I did as I was asked, and followed Daniel.

{a/n: yes its a short update but you guys didn't even think there would be one, so.}