Hide and Seek II

It's now January 13th, 2668. Two years have passed since The war against machines had quieted down into a sick game of hide and seek. One of those survivors has found solace inside the play structure of a Sunset Bowling Indoor Amusement Park. Inside was the ball pit that ever so slightly lifted and sank if you analyzed it hard enough. As the sun set on the deserted building, a body rose from the ball pit.

A woman around the height of 5'5 emerged from the faded and dost-covered plastic balls. A black blanket draped over her head to keep a clean layer between her and the uncleaned plastic balls keeping her hidden during the day as she slept. She was storying up her energy to scavenge the abandoned indoor amusement park for canned food and their five-gallon jugs of water for the water dispensers.

Stretching her arms above her head after getting a few hours of disturbed rest. She'd wake up in a cold chill every hour on the dot. The familiar clicking of a door handle followed by a rusted door creaking had become her alarm clock. The young twenty-seven-year-old woman dragged herself from the ball pit. Her unbrushed cardinal-red hair was thrown up into a messy bun. Tendrils of dark red framed her chubby cheeks in a youthful way. The hairstyle gave the almost thirty-year-old woman a younger face that was counteracted by malnutrition and lack of sleep that aged her double her age. Her drooping eyes blinked with exhaustion as she fought the urge to let her blue eyes drift shut. The only lights in this abandoned building were solar-powered lamps from the prize stand.

During the day, they would charge in a spot that received the most sunlight through a hole in the roof. The dull yellow lights flickered against her pale blue eyes. A ring of gold circled the center of the vibrant color that sparkled in the warm light illuminating the path she memorized through the maze-like structure of the indoor jungle gym. A magnetic cuff on her right wrist gets caught on the steel beams of the play structure. This caused gold-ringed blue eyes to steal coldly with annoyance each time it happened. Since this was a regular occurrence and a downside to hiding here, she quietly pried the cuff from the beam to keep moving. She had been captured sometime around the summer of last year before another survivor distracted the Battledroid with her loud crying.

She was able to run and evade being found but then came the issue of the cuffs. They were magnetized together but the BattleDroids left the key inside. She was the last human being handcuffed in her captured group when the screaming woman allowed her to escape. She had unlocked the cuff around her left hand but tragedy struck when she went to take off the other. A loud blast sounded through the air as the creaming woman was silent. The sudden noise caused her to jolt and snap the key inside the cuff. She had to suppress a scream of anger at the suddenness of the mistake.

Until she could cut the cuff off, she had a magnet confined to her wrist. The magnetization was strong enough to jerk her body to a stop if she approached a magnetic metal too closely. With a strong jerk of her wrist, she could free herself but it was inconvenient when you are running for your life and get tripped up but an ajar door. It was tempting to sleep for a few more hours to feel better rested but that would have her risking her small window of opportunity to scavenge for food and water before the Skelldroids came to inspect the area. An alarm ready to sound if they managed to sneak up on an unsuspecting human.

She accounted for at least five Skelldroids that would sweep the area every five hours since they were assistant Androids that used to work here. Due to their minimal sight, they tended to stick to the buildings where they were last employed. So before they arrived to inspect for the next three hours, she had to get something to nourish herself for the day. Despite her lack of opportunities to eat, she was never able to shake the baby weight from having her two kids six and eight years ago. Her motherly stretch marks were hidden under baggy clothes from the lost and found. Her shirt was a men's crewneck camouflage long sleeve and a pair of regrettable ugly shorts that ended at an awkward length around her knees. She often rolled them up for a better appearance but not often since it was too cold in January to worry about looking good.