Sixteenth

As the wedding drew nearer, Jack made it a point to pay attention to Arabella now more than ever. Of course, given that his wife-to-be wasn't home. When she was, he wouldn't typically socialize with his daughter. But, when Juliette was gone, he was completely enthralled in the child.

It was a lovely sunny day, and she had opened every window. The plain white curtains drifted in and out, back and forward, left and right. The room smelled of fresh air. The soft, velvety couch beneath them smelled sweet, and felt even sweeter once they were met with the rhythm of the breeze that rippled through London, and into the walls of their home.

It all started with a book. All she wanted to do was read her book on this glorious summer day, and Jack had somehow managed to lull her to sleep by sitting down next to her, wrapping his arm around her tiny frame and putting her head to his chest in an almost hug, and in complete comfort. "What are you doing?" She laughed. He closed his eyes and leaned his head back. "Relaxing." He murmured.

"You've been stressed?"

"You have no idea." She hummed. "Would you like to talk about it?"

"No." He shook his head. "Just let me rest."

"You'd probably feel more comfortable in your own bed. You know, without a person in your crushing grip." She looked up. Again, he shook his head. "No. Hush, I'm trying to sleep."

"You can't possibly be comfortable."

He inhaled the smell of the summer breeze, and the scent of his little Bella. "I'm quite comfortable, actually." He could feel her head near his heart, and that's all that mattered. If he was certain that he wouldn't break her, he would've held onto her even tighter. "You've got ten minutes, mister." She finally relaxed. "I would like to finish this book before-,"

"Before Athena takes you to dinner?"

"She told you?" He nodded. "I'm not sure if I trust her with you, yet, at least."

"She says the same thing about you." He cracked an eye open to see the angel in his hold smiling at him cheekily. "What's that look for?" She immediately shrugged. "I don't know. You and Athena seem like you would make a good couple."

"And why is that?"

"You're both crazy, but I love you both either way. Sane, insane. Happy, mad." Jack kissed her cheek. "I can't deny that the both of us likely love you more."

"So, you'll ditch Juliette and marry Athena instead?" She was a hopeful beacon of light. "No."

"Why not?" She frowned. "I don't love Athena."

"But she's so-,"

"Darling, what happened to relaxing?"

"I never agreed to-,"

"Quiet, Bella." She was only quiet for a few minutes, nestling her head back onto his chest.

"Jack?" She finally sighed. "Yes?" Arabella closed her eyes tightly, only hoping that he would still love her after she said what she needed. She would forever cherish the rhythmic rising and falling of his chest and the smooth beating of his heart in this moment. This calm, peaceful moment. "What is it?" He repeated.

"I know."

"You know what?"

"That Athena is my mother." His grip tightened, and she could hear the pounding of his heart increase rapidly. "For the love of god," he took a shaky inhale. "Do not tell Juliette."

"You're not going to ask how I know?"

"No. And never mention it. Don't even think about it."

"Why?" She sat up, furrowing her eyes. "You know how I feel about my secrets. As far as you, and everyone else are concerned, your mother is an American. You aren't something I wanted to raise, but you fell into my hands, understood?"

"Jack, I-,"

"Promise me, Arabella. Promise me, please." She could sense his seriousness. She didn't know why he wanted to hide it. She didn't know why he had lied to, and about her, to begin with. But, unfortunately, she trusted him.

"Alright." She nodded. "I promise."

"Love, I don't know how much time I'll be able to have with you once Juliette and I are married." John could feel the sadness well up inside of him, burrowing itself in his heart. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Instead of responding, she put her head back on his chest, and closed her eyes. So much for having a family, she thought.

**********************************************

They didn't mean to fall asleep for as long as they did. The sun fell, and the living room was filled with the subtle chill of the night. They, however, were so deeply asleep that the chill didn't bother them in the slightest. Arabella subconsciously snuggled deeper into his side, and he let it happen.

As Juliette walked through the door, she had every intention on grabbing John, sitting him down, and telling him everything exciting that had happened today. While she should've been planning the last few details of her big day, the damned woman had been held up at the doctor's office.

She couldn't wait to tell him the news.

"John?" She called excitedly. She checked his office, only to find it empty. "Darling?" She called again. The kitchen was deserted as well. "John, for Christ's sake, where are you?"

She wandered into the living room. She took one Quick look of her fiancé and his daughter sleeping on the couch. They both looked so similar. So peaceful. So much adored by each other. Ah, she thought. This was his secret. All along, the girl she was certain he loved was in front of her, and here she was, a victim of staring at the pair sleeping innocently on the couch.

Without hesitating, Juliette walked out of the living room, and into the kitchen to grab a knife out of the pale wooden block. She couldn't possibly live with a strange child holding the affections of what was hers. No, she needed to go. Arabella needed to die, and she had finally found her excuse to execute the murder. The knife felt warm and heavy in her hand. It was as if this extra weight was what she had been missing all this time. If only she had held this instrument in the moments that she first met the American, the issue would've been taken care of long ago.

But now, the issue needed to be dealt with.

Approaching the couch again, Juliette placed her open palm on Arabella's head, slowly lifting it up and away from John's sleeping figure. The French tipped fingers then pushed her head into the back of the couch, her neck now an open territory waiting to be marked. Thank goodness she had finally found the proper excuse to put an end to this miserable life.

Arabella's eyes opened. She stared into the blue eyes belonging to the woman that wielded the sharp, glimmering knife. She knew what was happening. She knew that if she fought back, all Juliette would do was wait until the time was right to attempt to slice her throat once more. She trembled slightly, but decided to face her death with complete confidence.

The smile on Juliette's face was so joyous that it seemed as if she did not understand the weight of the situation. The small girl should have screamed. She should have pulled away from the blade. She should've kicked John. Something, anything to fight back.

Instead, as the knife was positioned against her throat, she nodded. She gave her blessing to her murderer.

'Go ahead.' Her eyes conveyed. 'I will never be afraid of you. Do it. Do it!' Juliette drew in a deep breath as she began running the blade over the thin skin of the larynx.