chapter twelve: the 'if'

Start from the beginning

Now slightly interested, Valentina perked up, then signaled, "Go on."

"When I was little, my parents signed me up for choir at school, turns out I was born a natural. But no one knows about it, so you can't say anything. It's our secret."

Smirking, Valentina was invested. "I won't say anything."

Smiling genuinely, Steve appreciated it, truly, but he should've known it was too good to be true.

"If-"

She was cut off. "There's an if?!"

"Then the cat will be out of bag, Harrington."

He eventually caved in. "Fine, what is your if?"

Feeling accomplished, Valentina stated, "If you want me to keep your secret, I want... "

The rest of the group were waiting, but Marco grew anxious by the minute. He called his parents, worried about how they'd react.

He wouldn't wait any longer to know the answer, since his parents started to make a scene.

"Where's our daughter?"

"Marco?"

Widening his eyes, Marco got up and rushed to his parents. "Ma! Dad!"

Quickly hugging them, Marco brought them to the counter. The nurse on the phone, with a friend?

"Hey Linda, could I take my parents to see my sister?" Marco asked the nurse.

Waving him off, buzzing them in, the three rushed to Valentina's room. "I should've done that sooner."

"Mijo, what happened?" Christina questioned.

"It's better if you hear it from her."

Arriving at the room, they heard talking. Looking at each other, they barged in.

"Mom? Dad?"

A look of worry on Steve's face. "Oh shit."

"So you were hit. By a car?" Armando questioned calmly.

"Yes."

"Okay and did you see who the driver was?" Armando asked.

"I didn't know I was supposed to investigate who the suspect was while being hit by a car," Valentina responded.

"Valentina," Christina scolded.

Innocently smiling, she kept herself together. "No, I didn't see who it was."

Taking a deep breath, Armando stood up, going to shake Chief Powell's hand. "Thank you for being here."

"Don't mention it. And Valentina, even though a lot is going in this town at the moment, I promise we'll catch who did this to you," Powell reassured.

Nodding her head, Valentina thanked the Chief.

Now looking over at Steve, she held out her hand.
Him taking ahold of it, he whispered, "We'll be fine."

Then there was a knock on the door.

"Valentina?" the voice asked.

Peeking their head through the door, Dr. Andrews was surprised at the sight before her. "Christina? Armando? It's been a while."

Valentina's parent's faces dropped.

"Andy?" Valentina questioned.

- so spoiler alert, valentina is about to find outabout her past & of course i left it on a cliffhanger

about her past & of course i left it on a cliffhanger

- also y'all see end of beginning by djo trending?
i didn't know it was trending until a bunch of people started using it on instagram (i don't have tiktok), but finally joe is getting the recognition he deserves

- if you want more songs to listen to by djo, listen to, bnbg, figure you out, or tentpole shangrila (all his songs are good, but the three are just a few at the top of my head)