chapter four: hopp𝐞r?

__________
-UNKEPT-
PROMISES

When Valentina Alma was transitioning into going to high school, she always feared that it would be what the movies made it out to be

When Valentina Alma was transitioning into going to high school, she always feared that it would be what the movies made it out to be. So when the first day came, she was weary walking down the halls. She wanted to be wrong about the sassy queen-bee of the school and unfortunately, she fell right in the trap of it all.

The first week, Valentina was sitting alone at one of the lunch tables, where the queen-bee, Carol Perkins, called her out for sitting by herself. She then earned the nickname, The Loner, but it was gradually getting easier as time went on.

Valentina was also told by Armando that the best way to make friends was to do extracurriculars, but she never listened.

Growing up, she always found an interest in investigating cases that had gone cold. A few years ago, she received a bulletin board to be able to help with putting all the information up, essentially a guide.

One time in the newspaper, there was an ad for volunteers needed at the police station, this sparking interest in Valentina. So she gained courage and was hired instantly. It felt like yesterday, helping the late Chief Jim Hopper, with the case of Will Byers, then it led to an investigation of rotten pumpkins in a patch, and even Jane Ives. The summer of 85', is when everything went to hell from there.

It was an unusual cloudy morning, the news was on, announcing the mall had been on fire, but then he was pronounced dead.

Hopper was someone that Valentina got along with quickly. Both started to build a bond, creating a father-daughter duo like no other. He even told her about his daughter, Sarah. A close bond, that got torn apart oh so suddenly.

"Valentina? Is that you?"  A familiar voice rang through her ears. Furrowing her eyebrows, where she then met the gaze of someone who looked completely different from when she last saw them.

Shaking her head in disbelief. Tears slowly fell down her white-flushed cheeks. "No, yo-you died! You're dead! You're not real." She looked around, the monster was no longer there. Instead she was in a place with all red things. Red soup.

The familiar voice laughed. "Kiddo, this is real. Well not really, we're in your dream. But listen, I don't know how I'm here, I just want to let you know I'm okay. Everything's okay and I'll find my way back to you and maybe we can go mini-golfing like we were supposed to on that Friday."

Hopper.

It really was Hopper. But how could it be?

Hastily running to him, to give him a hug, it was as if he turned into dust. "Hopper! Hopper!" He was gone. There was no one in the red soup besides her and a clock floating in the air.