VI.

After the incident in the store Mina had to pay for her groceries in another line while I had to pay for the coca-cola bottles I dropped plus the new ones I picked up and the loaf of bread. All in all the price wasn't too bad, it was only about three dollars.

I couldn't believe how much of a fool I'd made of myself today, especially in front of Mina.

"That was pretty bad wasn't it?" I cleared my throat, an uncomfortable chuckle escaping the back of it.

Mina giggled and smiled at me, shaking her head in an unconvincing way, "It was kind of cute. To be completely honest."

"Definitely not."

Mina and I walked through the busy streets of Los Angeles, both of us carrying our groceries and both of us making meaningless conversation about what happened over the years we were apart.

Mina told me she was able to escape the refugee camp in nineteen forty-nine when Congress passed the Displaced Persons Act, which enabled refugees from different locations in the world to move to America with a visa at hand for them.

Mina also told me she tried to find me for months on end, but she couldn't because she couldn't remember some of the key information about me.

I thought it was cute how she tried to pursue me because I would've never thought in a million years that I would've ever seen her again. Even if I never saw her again, I always thought it was a comforting feeling to know that she was somewhere out in the world living her life and thinking of me every so often.

Although when I told her about Nathaniel she didn't seem to fair too well. She was upset and I could tell she was trying her hardest to hide it, but it wasn't fooling me.

I didn't blame her; I was still very upset over his death, but I guess I just handled it better since I knew before she did.

_   _   _

"That's the last of it." Mina grinned at me and shut the trunk of her brand new ford.

I returned the grin with a small one and leaned against the lustrous new car.

"I better get going. . . I have to pick up some-" Mina started.

"You don't really have to go do you? I was hoping we could stop and get a milkshake. They're only five cents during this part of the day." I scratched the back of my neck awkwardly, smiling at her curious eyes that peered upon mine.

"Well. . . I suppose I could just. . . ." She trailed off, a smile instantly covering her decadent baby pink lips.

"For me?" I entreated.

"Alright," She nodded, "lead the way Justin."

I genuinely smiled at her, taking her hand in mine and beginning to walk towards the small ice cream shop on the corner of the Boulevard.

Once we were there I opened the door for Mina and followed her inside. I had never been here before, but most of my colleagues I knew from work always said they had the best shakes in the whole city.

There was a small jukebox in the corner playing one of the old summer classics from the forties while the couples were sprawled out from space to space in the little shop. Some of them were dancing, others were conversing with each other and some were even singing along to the upbeat tune.

"What do you recommend?" Mina smiled at me, as she scanned the flavors on the flyer she must've picked up while I wasn't paying attention.

"I'm not too sure. I've never been here before either." I shrugged and eyed the menu next to her.

"The orange dreamsicle sounds good."

I looked over the menu once more and diverted my eyes to the flavor Mina recommended. I didn't like oranges much, so the flavor didn't appeal to my tastes.

"I think I might go for the strawberry." I smiled, leading her over to a pair of empty stools.

"Sounds wonderful."

Mina and I both sat and waited for about ten minutes before one of the servers came and took our orders and our money.

During the whole time we waited for the shakes we talked about new things going on in our lives. Mina told me she changed her name to Charlotte McCall and was aspiring to be a model for some fashion line she was smitten over. I talked about my real estate job and well, that was about it.

After we received our shakes we didn't talk much; just admired each other. It was nice to sit and just admire the love of your life, hell I could do it all day.

Mina was so cute and girly the whole time. She was blushing, giggling and holding my hand, let me just say; I didn't want her to let go of it, never.

"It's a quarter to three; unfortunately I must be going now." Mina frowned at me and got up from her seat.

"When will I see you again?" I asked while getting up from my seat as well.

"I'm not sure, can I give you my telephone number?"

"Of course. What is it?" I pulled out a pen from one of the pockets on my trousers and grabbed an extra napkin that remained untouched from the checkered counter.

"555-483-2768." Mina responded with a small nod.

"Thank you." I replied, stuffing my pen and the napkin into my pocket.

"I'll be seeing you." Mina said, as she started walking towards the door.

"I'll be seeing you too." I waved goodbye to her and smiled awkwardly to myself.

Boy was I one lucky guy.