"How rude," I shoved her head to the side, a snapped neck forcing her body to crumple in a heap. "I mean, of all the things to accuse me of(!)" I found myself scoffing.

"How do you know he compelled her? H-how do you know anything?" I turned toward the stuttering mess with a glare, successfully silencing him.

"I still don't like you--Ergo; you remain in the dark. Feel free to stare at her or whatever, meanwhile, I'm gonna comfort your daughter on the trauma you just caused." I paused in my journey, my hand finding his wrist and forcing the man to wince. "I'll be taking this back before you leave town," Ric's ring was twisted out of place from John's finger. "Call it compensation for what you did to Jenna. I don't care if you were protecting her, it was a dick move stemming from jealousy and you know it."

His brow crumpled, "Jealousy?"

"Jealousy toward the only man Isobel has and will ever love. You're nothing to her, John. Get over it." I took a sick satisfaction in seeing his expression break, real hurt bubbling beneath his features.

Only when he was well and truly hurt did I move to find Elena.

Elena looked confused when I entered the room, Stefan's comforting grip never leaving her as I refused to enter further, waiting for any questions she wanted to be answered and mentally debating whether to answer with the truth... "What aren't you telling me, Angel?"

"Your question is gonna need to be more specific than that, Gilbert."

Her eyes narrowed, "You said you had kidnappers."

"John didn't like the fact I was a know-it-all when we first met. I learned what he was to you and about Isobel, and he thought getting her to kidnap me and 'scare me into shape' would stop me from being so cocky with my knowledge. He knew I'd be taken and that she'd threaten me when she came to town looking for that watch, and neither of them liked me standing up for our Salvatores in the process." I shrugged out my answer, surprised even the cracks inbetween were honest. I mean, sure, I could always be more detailed with my truth, but Elena never specified wanting that.

She hesitated, almost afraid for an answer to her second question... "Snapping Elijah's neck, daggering him--what you did to Isobel just now..." I suppose that answers Stefan playing the role of the eavesdropper. "Does that strength come from what you can do with your eyes, what you showed us in the hospital?"

"Most of it," I nodded.

"Can you tell us what that is?"

"I would if I knew the truth wouldn't worry you."

Her eyes widened, "I-is it hurting you?"

"No," I promised firmly, a small approach not seeming to be rejected. "It's doing nothing to me that I don't want it to do. It's just--" I took a breath, trying to think of the right words. "It just sounds a lot scarier than it actually is." She seemed slightly relieved, but I knew the subject would continue to bounce around her skull, especially when I wasn't providing a clear enough answer on it... "Interrogation over?"

She scoffed at my raised brow, "Interrogation over." I smiled at her agreement.

Whether the day eventually came for me to be unashamedly honest, or I just continued existing with half-truths towards everyone I came across, I was just grateful I could pull them back from worrying about me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated the care. But after getting a bit of perspective on the situation, the last thing Elena--the last thing anyone--needed to be concerned for was me.