Happy Birthday, Your Highness

Start from the beginning

"You did a marvelous job of appearing pleased by your gifts," Isabelle said, making me smile. "Mother believed you loved everything."

"Well, it's the thought." I sighed.

"Come on," she said. "Jules and I have your real gifts in my room."

Much more excited for these items, I turned with my sisters and we hurried to Isabelle's room.

"I kind of wish you'd asked for something for yourself," Isabelle said as she presented the item. "But it was fun keeping it a secret. My sewing instructor still hasn't any idea why I wanted to make something like this."

I happily looked over the small bag that was remarkably well made for the work of an eleven-year old child, in my opinion. The rectangular bag was made from a deep blue fabric - nothing too feminine, but still not masculine. The outer strap suggested that it was just a normal bag, not intended for anything specific. It was an odd shape maybe, but was really no different from most women's handbags. No one would suspect it was for a book. There were even straps on the inside to hold the cover in place and internal pockets so that the owner could offer a legitimate excuse to whoever might be nosey enough to ask what the bag was for. Keira would love it. She'd be able to bring her books anywhere and everywhere.

When my sisters asked me what I'd like from them, I hadn't been able to think of a single thing I needed or wanted. Until I thought of how happy Keira would be to receive something like this. And her joy was absolutely a gift I wanted for my birthday. She loved her books and despised being made to leave them behind all the time. Most people considered reading to be borderline vulgar for females, so she couldn't simply carry books around openly. Now she wouldn't have to leave anything behind ever again.

I wasn't naïve enough to believe she would be inspired to feel something more than friendship because of this, but I could always hope. We weren't children playing tag any longer, and I couldn't help but notice how beautiful she'd become. Her delicate blue eyes were so expressive and nearly impossible to tear my own eyes away from sometimes, and I loved the way the sun would make her golden hair shine. I tried really hard not to stare at certain other very attractive features of hers, but she'd matured quite a bit over the last year or so, and practically every time I saw her now (which wasn't nearly often enough), I found myself hoping she hadn't caught me watching her when I forgot myself. I wasn't sure what I'd say to explain it if she did.

I wondered if she'd noticed that I was also growing up. She was just as sweet and lovable as she always had been, but so far, I hadn't detected anything like romantic feelings from her. I didn't think anyway. I wasn't the best judge of how girls acted when they felt that way. In my experience, people typically behaved exceptionally - and artificially - enamored with me. Girls had tried to get my attention before by flirting. Some of them tried very hard, but I had no idea what sorts of things they might do if they actually felt something authentic besides greed.

With an internal sigh, I found myself wishing my sisters were a bit older. If they were a little closer in age to Keira, they would be able to get close to her and find out what she thought. Possibly plant some ideas...

"I made two," Juliette said, presenting her gifts and pulling my mind back to reality. "I didn't think it was right for you not to get anything for yourself on your birthday. At least that you actually wanted. You should have seen the looks I got when I asked how to do each of your names."

With a chuckle, I took the little strips of fabric. Keira's was a blue that matched the bag and mine was a deep green. They had our names embroidered across them. Juliette had added little stars on mine and flowers on Keira's. Perfect for bookmarks. Again, she would love it. And I think she'd like the fact that we each had one.