Two.

The Ride

Harmony Jones.

The car door shut as I got comfortable in the passenger seat, putting on my seatbelt before setting my purse in my lap. I looked up at Josiah as he walked around to the driver's side with his keys swirling around his index finger. Josiah opened up the car door, climbing in and starting the car with the push of a button. He pulled on his seatbelt while setting up his GPS and turning his music on with not a word transpiring between the two of us. The vibe in the car felt awkward as Drake's The Ride radiated from the speakers as he pulled out of the parking lot. I'm expecting the ride to have awkward bits here and there because we barely know each other, but I haven't heard anything negative about him. Plus, if Aubrey trusted him, I figured I'd be fine.

My phone buzzed in my lap from sitting in my purse. I wouldn't have heard it if I didn't feel it due to the loudness of the music in his car. I looked over at him as he nodded his head to music, mouthing the lyrics and focusing on the road. He really does look cute. I quickly grabbed my phone out of my purse, looking at the screen and laughing softly at the message from Mariah.

Mariah: Have yall made it to the backseat yet?
Mariah: Is it hot and heavy?

I covered my mouth to keep from laughing too loud.

Harmony: Girl.
Harmony: It's just not giving that.
Harmony: He is fine tho

I exited out of our messages, locking my screen and setting my phone in my lap. I looked at the GPS for the time remaining until we're back in our town. I rolled my eyes at the sight of 35 minutes remaining. I was beyond ready to get home. A hot bath and my satin sheets were screaming my name.

From A Woman by Mariah the Scientist came on and I instantly looked up at him with a shocked expression. I waited a couple seconds before I said anything just in case he skipped the song, but he let it play.

"I didn't take you as the type to listen to her," I said over the music.

He looked over at me while decreasing the volume before chuckling as he moved his attention back to the road. "Men can't enjoy good R&B now?"

I softly chuckled and shrugged my shoulders. "I'm not saying that. I just...I don't know. Drake I wasn't too surprised because everybody listens to Drake. Although The Ride is pretty underrated, but I just thought you mainly listened to rappers."

"Nah. I mean I listen to rappers, but most of the time I'm listening to R&B," he said while looking over at me toward the end of his statement.

"Nice to know, so," I trailed, "what artists you listen to? R&B wise."

"Hm, off the dome, I'll say PARTYNEXTDOOR, Jacquees, Bryson Tiller, Don Toliver, Kehlani, Kaash Paige, Tinashe, Summer Walker, shit a lot. And that's just the new R&B." He tapped his steering. "Oh shit. SZA!"

"You got good taste, okay. Well, I'm curious to know the old R&B artists."

"Damn, you puttin' me on the spot." He laughed. "Let's see- Actually, you tell me your old school R&B artists."

I chuckled. "Hm, okay. Jagged Edge, Mariah Carey, Mint Condition, Auntie Mary, Hi-Five has some hidden gems, Usher, Jodeci... I can go on and on, but those are a few."

"Okay, I hear some good ones in there. You're missing a few. I'm about to take you way back. You got the Debarges, New Edition, the Isley Brothers, Anita, Luther, Earth, Wind and Fire. Teddy!" He snapped his fingers and glanced over at me with a soft smile.

"Good ones. You forgot some of the best: Prince and Michael Jackson."

"Oh those are no brainers. You can't be mad I miss those. They're legends. Everybody likes them." He chuckled.

"You got me there." I laughed with him.

"Let me play you some of that good shit, real quick." He laughed while picking his phone up from his lap.

I smiled while rubbing my hands together in my lap and looking up out at the road through the windshield, anticipating the song he had queued. I can't believe one song sparked this entire interaction between us and allowed us to learn more about each other through music.

Fire & Desire by Rick James and Teena Marie boomed through the speakers. I let out a gasp. "Oh this is my shit. And to think I was about to rip your head off earlier."

That statement earned a hearty laugh out of him. "I think we just got off on the wrong foot."

"Yeah," I agreed.

The song came to a stop as an incoming call flashed across the screen, reading Tyler. I looked up at Josiah as his expression read of displeasure once he realized who was calling. He quickly pressed decline as the music slowly came back on.

"Who's Tyler," I questioned out of curiosity.

"My knucklehead little brother. Hell you might even know of him," he chuckled as he exited the highway, indicating we were close to home.

"How would I know him." I looked over at him in confusion.

"I don't know if I want Jayda Wayda or a Rubi Rose," he sung.

"Oh, that's your brother? Isn't he like 12?"

Josiah laughed. "He's 16 and out of fuckin' control. Anyway, where you stay at?"

As I was giving him the directions to my house, his brother called again. Josiah sighed while answering, and quickly removing the phone from Bluetooth.

"Let me hit you back in like 10 minutes..."

I couldn't make out what he was saying on the other line, but Josiah stayed silent as he turned on my street with his phone up to his ear.

"Ty, you can't keep doin' this shit man...Just-" he sighed, "just give me 10 minutes." They said their goodbyes before hanging up.

"It's that house.." I quietly pointed toward the modem two story home.

It's like his brother's call instantly ruined his mood. The steering would pop if it wasn't so sturdy from the way he was gripping it. I noticed his eyes stayed focused straight ahead as he brought the car to a stop. I softly smiled while looking over at him as he finally turned his head and looked at me.

"I appreciate the ride, for real," I said softly.

"Yeah, it was nothing."

"And do you have Venmo, Zelle, Cashapp?"

"Harmony, for real? Don't even worry about that. I'm a favor for a favor type dude. I'm sure I'll need you one day." He softly smiled, tucking his lips. "Now enjoy the rest of your Sunday. I'll probably see you around."

"I'm hoping so," I said while grabbing the door handle and opening the car door, stepping out.

I can't wait to call Mariah.