One.

Brunch

Harmony Jones.

Pushing the applicator to my lip gloss back in its tube, I rubbed my lips together once the car came to a stop. I pulled my purse over my shoulder while grabbing the handle to the back door, thanking my driver and exiting the vehicle. I stepped on to the concrete with feelings of anxiety rumbling through my stomach with a mix of hunger. I agreed to meet an old friend for brunch at a restaurant I'd never been to. I was hesitant at first, but he insisted we meet because he wanted to hang out with friends he hadn't seen in a while. I looked down at my phone, checking Mariah's location who claimed to be on her way, but knowing her she hasn't even left the house. Surprisingly, she was on the highway. I hope she gets here soon.

I let out a sigh while walking toward the entrance where I spotted him standing in the doorway. He wasn't standing alone either. I instantly recognized the other person. He was tall, light-skin, had short curly hair and a pair of Cartier shades covering his eyes. Once my friend and my eyes met, I sent him a soft smile.

"Harmony," he called out with glee in his voice.

"Aubrey," I responded with a soft smile.

He approached me, engaging me in a hug as I hugged him back. "It's been a minute. You remember my friend Josiah?"

I looked up at the fair skinned man, nodding as he stepped forward, hugging me as well. I was slightly caught off guard but I hugged him back, lightly chuckling.

"Yeah, he went to middle school with us, right," I questioned while pointing at him and looking between him and Aubrey.

I knew exactly who he was, and not just because we went to middle school together. He's all over ESPN with his promising basketball career. He's been on the sports anchors radar for a while, but it's been amped since his college team just won the NCAA championship. I'm assuming he's just waiting for the NBA drafts. It's been swirling all over the news that a lot of teams have been scouting for him.

"Yeah, I did. I had to leave for some reasons, but I still be in the area," He answered, letting me hear his voice for the first time since I've last seen him ten years ago.

I nodded. "That's nice. Are we waiting on anybody else, aside from Mariah." I looked between the two, waiting for an answer.

"Just Mariah."

"Oh."

"So, what you been up to," Aubrey questioned.

I chuckled. "Job applications. You'd think with the teacher shortage I'd have districts beating down my door."

"You wanna be a teacher," Josiah chimed in, taking a puff from his vape pen. "Never would've took you as the type."

"I do, and I never would've took you as the type to vape," I retaliated with narrowed eyes.

He pulled his shades off his eyes, chuckling as smoke slipped from his lips. "I'm not the type," he said in a mocking tone.

"Anyway," Aubrey quickly cut us off. "You'll start getting callbacks before you know it. You literally just graduated."

"I know, but a lot of my friends from my cohort have already gotten jobs."