II

CLEMENTINE CAMPBELL

CLEMENTINE CAMPBELL

I sigh hearing the music blasting and people coming in and out of the big mansion. This just reminds me why I hate parties. I would rather be curled up in a book on my bed but clearly that is not happening as Audrey and Phoenix are nowhere to be seen and have already entered the party.

I clutch my purse and walk to the front door of the house, my main mission is to find Liliana. I'm not shockingly surprised Logan Liliana's older brother threw a party especially since he is best friends with Phoenix. Once I get into the house I have to try and maneuver through the random people who are drunk or high or stumbling to find the nearest bathroom to pee or vomit. The room is darkening filled with blue lights and red lights. I see my sister sitting on the couch laughing and talking with unfamiliar faces.

My sister's eyes widen as she looks at me. "Clementine!" She yells, calling me over to her. I sigh, not really wanting to go over there with her but knowing I have no choice. I know she's not drunk yet, which is great because I want to go home.

"Hey baby sis, here, have a drink," she says, getting a random red cup from the round table in front of the couch and handing it to me.

"No thanks, I'm good," I say to her. When I say that, Audrey shakes her head and smiles.

"You see, you guys, I told you she was a prude. I don't even know why I try," Audrey says, turning to the people on the couch as they all laugh at her comment.

Audrey always has a way of embarrassing me in the moments where I least expect it. My cheeks tint red and my eyes fill with tears. I tell myself I don't care what my sister thinks, but the pain in my chest says otherwise. The pain tells me that I will never have the bond with her that I've always wanted.

I push the pain aside and put the wall back up that she had knocked down. "Can you take me home, please?" I don't even waste time, I just want to get out of here.

"No, are you crazy? I'm having a good time."

"But I'm not. Can you please take me home?" I plead to her.

"Clementine, stop being a fucking stuck up virgin and just have some fun and party. Don't ruin the mood for the rest of us," Audrey says in an aggressive tone, taking a swig from the big bottle of vodka on the table. Everyone starts laughing, not at her comment but at me.

The worst part she starts laughing with them.

Feeling humiliated and hurt, I quietly turn around and try to leave before I burst into tears. But before I can make it out of the room, I bump into a hard wall. Looking up, I see that I bumped into Phoenix, but he's not looking at me. Instead, he's glaring at the people on the couch.

"What's going on over here?" His deep voice fills the room, carrying an air of dominance and attitude. His presence alone commands everyone's attention and the room falls silent.

"Nothing," she says with a glare, "she's just ruining the mood like she always does." I look down, wondering why my sister hates me so much.

"Like I said, what's going on over here?" Phoenix's deep voice cuts through the tension, his jaw clenched and his tattooed fist tightening. Everyone's attention shifts to him, as it always does.

Audrey rolls her eyes and sighs. "She wants to go home."

Phoenix's head twists in confusion. "Then take her home," he says.

"I'm having a good time, she can wait until tomorrow."

"You're unbelievable. I can't believe you won't take your own little sister home," Phoenix says, his voice filled with anger. He turns away from her and walks towards me, grabbing my wrist as he mutters something for me to come with him. Audrey yells something back, but I can't hear it as we continue walking further away from the house.

The wind has picked up, blowing even colder than before. I feel a shiver run through my body as I tightly wrap my cardigan around me for warmth. Phoenix, noticing my discomfort, offers his big leather jacket to me.

I try to refuse, but the determined look in his eyes tells me not to disobey him. Gratefully, I accept the big leather jacket, feeling it instantly warm me as it wraps around my small frame, engulfing me in its soft embrace.

The car ride is silent, the tension thick in the air. Phoenix's grip on the steering wheel is tight, his knuckles white. I can feel his anger radiating off him, but I don't dare to break the silence. The streetlights flicker by, casting shadows across his face, highlighting the stern lines of his jaw.

Finally, as we pull up to my house, he breaks the silence. "I'm sorry for the way your sister treats you," he says, his voice low and sincere.

I shake my head, trying to brush off his concern. "You don't have to be sorry. That's just the way she's always been," I reply, trying to sound nonchalant.

He doesn't say anything for a moment, but I can see a flash of sadness in his eyes before he quickly masks it with his usual stoic expression. "Just remember, this ride is a one-time thing. Don't think anything of it," he says firmly.

I make a face, a mix of confusion and frustration. "Thank you," I mumble before leaving the car. As I walk to my front door, I can't help but think that my sister really dated an asshole. But then again, I'm not sure who's more of an asshole—my sister or her boyfriend.

This chapter is short but next one will be long I love you guys please vote and comment