𝟎𝟎𝟐

Everett walked into the Avengers compound with her brother for the first time in over five years. She was surprised to notice that nothing had really changed. Nat had told Everett and Clint to go to the den to find Bruce. The duo walked in on Bruce and Scott arguing about the Pym Particles, Nebula setting up the suit, and Rhodey spectating from the side. Clint leaned against the door frame and Everett stood next to him. Scott fastened the vial of Pym Particles into the suit and yelled as he briefly shot into the Quantum Realm.

He looked around as he popped back up. "One test run." He shook himself. "Okay, I'm not ready for this."

"I'm game," Clint said. He stood taller, no longer leaning against the door. "I'll do it." Everett's eyes widened.

Clint moved forward and stood in front of Scott. Scott nodded and gave Clint the suit. Everett moved forward. Rhodey looked at her with a sort of awe when he saw her. He gave her a smile and wrapped his arms around her. Welcoming her back into a family that she had thrown away.

"Hey, kid," he said. Ever since he'd known her, Rhodey had called her "kid". She didn't really know why, but it was comforting.

Rhodey studied her as he pulled back. Her caramel hair, that had once been almost all the way down her back, was now just brushing her shoulders. Her green eyes were fractured, broken by too much grief and pain. Her scars were fully on display with her black tank top and black ripped jeans, as if she was no longer ashamed of who she was. She looked so different, but in some ways, she was still the same sixteen-year-old girl she had been when Rhodey had first met her.

"It's been way too long, Everett." Rhodey nodded, as if he was assuring her that it was okay.

Everett smiled and walked out of the room. This reunion thing was trippy and exhausting, and she wasn't even done yet. As she wandered the compound, her ears caught on rock music. She walked towards the sound and came into the hangar. Everett smiled at what she saw. A beautiful glass platform, and the Quantum equipment above it.

"Tony," Everett whispered under breath. Only his genius would've been able to come up with this.

Footsteps sounded behind her. Everett stopped, not wanting to turn around.

The footsteps halted. "Everett?"

The voice that said her name made every bone in her body seize up. She could feel the ice creeping in again. She had barely felt it in five years, but she was instantly 16 years old again, running from a government that she hadn't known she was defying. She turned around cautiously and saw a man with blonde hair and blue eyes, wearing a dark flannel top and gray slacks.

Steve Rogers was floored to see Everett Barton standing in front of him. She was older, but she was still the same girl he'd met all those years ago.

The girl's eyes filled with tears. "Hey, Steve."

Steve took cautious steps forward, eyeing her. Everett realized that what she was seeing in his eyes wasn't fear but worry. Worry because the last time he'd seen her, her powers had taken over her whole body until he couldn't recognize her. He stopped about a foot in front of her. Everett closed the distance between them and wrapped her arms around him as much as she could. She buried her face in his chest, feeling like a kid again. Feeling like she was back in D.C.

Steve pressed a chaste kiss to her forehead. "I'm so glad you're okay."

Everett looked up, tears streaking her face. "I'm so sorry," she said, voice breaking. She looked down again, shaking her head. "I'm so sorry."

Steve gently lifted her chin. "You have seen so much pain and loss in your life. And then you lost your family. Some very important pieces of it. This place, the people here, they are full of memories. Memories that were too painful for you to relive then. The fact that you're here is a testament to how strong you are." His words were laced with love and sadness.

Everett wiped her face. "I don't think I've cried this much in a single day in over five years," she said, a soft smile coming over face.

Steve laughed. "How does it feel?"

A far-away look came over her face. "Really good."

-----------------------------------------------

baby chapter lol

the next chapter is diving into the infinity stones and everything else

question: where do you guys think everett's story goes after endgame? i do have part of it written but i wanna see if anyone can guess

OKAY LOVE YOU ENJOY