𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟐

-𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐃𝐄-𝐈𝐒𝐀𝐃𝐎𝐑𝐀-

The week had been quiet as normal. I didn't hear anything from Chris. I hung out with Theo a little more than usual but he seemed to enjoy my company as much as I enjoyed his. I talked to him about Chris. Not because I wanted to burden him but because he won't remember it in a few minutes. He was a wise man so without knowing it he gave me all the words of encouragement I needed. We walked our usual round around the park and sat on our favorite bench in the park. Theo always said how lovely the rainbow colored bench was when he saw it. Every time he said it. Every time I felt my heart tighten at the comment. It was a small thing but it hurts me every time to know that his family abandoned him for no good reason at all. This sweet old man who was nothing but a pure soul in a body... with dementia. I was happy that he still remembered me but I noticed how he slowly took longer to recognize me. It wouldn't take long before he would stop recognizing me. I didn't want to help him with euthanasia but I knew it was the only wish he had before the dementia kicked in hard.

"Who are you again... oh right! Sorry Isa. I seem to have such a short memory these days."

Bang... another stung to the heart. The poor man couldn't help it but it still hurts me deeply.

"That's alright Theo. It happens to the best."

We walked back to the hospice just in time for his dinner. It was Friday evening... it meant that when I would return home. Chris was there. My father would be there. It was time to do it. It was time to set myself free. I had made up some lame excuse that my father would stay with us for dinner because he was in the neighborhood but in reality we would confront Chris and my father would make sure he wouldn't hurt me.

I arrived in front of the apartment building and I looked up to the apartment I had lived in for the past years with Chris. I swallowed. I sighed. I squinted my eyes close. I sighed again. I opened my eyes. Left. Right. Left. Right. I kept my brain occupied with the easiest of tasks like breathing and walking. When I arrived in the hallway of our apartment I could hear my dad's voice. The fake politeness was evident from his voice and I could see that Chris knew something was up. His shoulders were tense and he didn't sit relaxed like he was waiting for an attack and he was ready to fight back.

"Hai."

"Hello princess."

"Hai baby."

They both greeted me. My father was first to reply and his normally ice cold voice sounded warm and full of encouragement. You got this Isa. That's what he told me without words. I sat down next to my father. I looked at him and he gave me a nod.

"Chris."

"Yes?"

"I want to break up."

"Sorry?"

"It's time that you stop treating me like garbage. I cannot take any physical harm anymore. It's enough. I've suffered for too long."

"What are you on about? Are you sick?"

He reached his hand out to feel my fore head but my father grabbed his hand away from my forehead. They looked each other in the eyes.

"Don't try it. We've enough proof to take you to court."

"Bullshit."

My father his finger went in the air to point out all the camera's in the room. 4 to be exact. Chris his eyes widened. He looked between my father and I. My father sat up straight and leaned slightly forward looking sternly into Chris his eyes. Cold glares were shared between the two men.

"You can choose. Leave my daughter alone forever or go to court. You decide."

"She belongs to me. There's nothing you can do about it!"

"She's not an object nor is she married to you."

"Then I guess we go to court."

Chris his eyes found mine. The look in his eyes told me enough and I immediately looked away. His gaze set my body on fire in a way nobody liked. Like a someone on the street was staring at you but you couldn't find out who and the feeling follows you throughout the day.

"Princess... pack your stuff. You're staying with me this weekend."

"Thanks dad."

My dad walked with me to the bedroom. He waited outside for me to collect my stuff in peace while making sure Chris wouldn't do something stupid. I took my clothes, toiletries and other important things and pushed everything in 2 suitcases and 2 bags. My father and I left the building without saying bye. The last thing my father said was that Chris should expect to be called into court soon. I didn't like to think about the fact that I had to see that man ever again. I had hoped he would take the easy way out but instead... we were stuck. Stuck where I was afraid to be. Stuck where I tried to avoid to be. Sitting in the car made me realize what had happened and for the first time in years... I broke down in front of my father. I started crying. Tears running down my cheeks. My body started shaking. My lungs felt like they were collapsing. This was a panic attack.

"Breathe princess... it's alright. You'll be just fine. We will figure it all out... I promise. Everything is gonna be okay."

His words weren't helping me a lot. It didn't get worse though. My father stopped speaking and instead stroked my hair with his free hand to calm me down while still having full focus on the road. For the first time in years I didn't feel judged for showing emotions. It would be okay eventually I thought to myself... maybe it's not that bad after all....

(1015 words)