Chapter 1 - The corpse in the woods

I've been obsessed with mysteries ever since I was a little girl

I've been obsessed with mysteries ever since I was a little girl. Back then my afternoons after school were filled with Scooby Doo marathons. I just wish I knew then how utterly terrifying it would be to be part of one.

The first day of school starts as it normally does, that is until I step into the hallway. The hallway is buzzing with whispers. Whispers that are alarmingly frantic.

I glance at my classmates' eyes that are widened with alarm and interest as she whispers to one of her friends. I frown.

What could be so interesting on the first day of the new school year? It isn't even nine o'clock yet.

I perk up as I see my best friend, Alastor, leaning against his locker waiting for me.

I smile as I see his fluffy ebony hair.

Damn, I really missed my best friend over summer break.

He went to Alaska with his family while I stayed here at the school. One of the perks of your father becoming principal is living on school grounds. And trust me, it's not as fun as it sounds. Alastor begged me to go with him to Alaska but my father wouldn't let me. He claimed it was "too dangerous". This is the first time I am seeing Alastor since he left for summer break and I can't hold back my smile. Alastor's dark brown eyes light up as he sees me. I shake my head at how he still manages to look good in our terrible blue plaid uniforms. I guess Alastor's Korean ancestry aids his good looks. I capture Alastor in a hug and I catch him grinning at me as we pull apart.

"Gosh, I missed you," he says with a grin.

"Trust me you're not the only one. It was torture not seeing you all summer. I had no one to gossip and laugh with." I whine. "Trust me I had it worse. My grandmother wouldn't shut up about how my cousin, June got into some upscale school in New York. As if I'm not in one of the most prestigious schools in Washington." Alastor rolls his eyes.

I laugh in response.

"I'm sure she's proud of you as well." I try to make him feel better.

Alastor responds by giving me a flat look.

Family has always been a hard topic for Alastor. He doesn't like to talk about how much pressure his family puts on him daily. His parents want him to do well. But not only "well". They want him to be exceptional. It is one of the things that resulted in me and Alastor becoming such good friends so quickly. We both understood how difficult it was to live under the pressure of our parents. Not that my father is a terrible person for putting pressure on me. My father only wants me to do well so I can have a good future. I also partly think he's so strict because of my mom. She'd want me to do good I think. I'm brought out of my thoughts when someone's shoulder bumps me. I stare in shock as the person just keeps on walking. He doesn't even glance back or say sorry. I glare at the person's retreating form.