Chapter - 39

Recap: Mathi and Kanmani have a argument over the incident over the previous day's incident which lead to digging the past.

***************

Veera entered the room and Mathi gulped in fear that he would have heard everything. Kanmani analysed his face and she didn't need a confirmation that he heard everything so she stood without uttering a word but she averted her gaze to Mathi who was fidgeting with her pallu. Veera sat on the couch rolling his sleeves and not meeting anyone's eyes.

Veera: Why are you both looking like you had argument ? Did I miss something ?

Mathi: No no nothing like that Veera. I heard about the incident happened yesterday so came to check on you both.

Veera: We are absolutely fine maa. Isn't Kanmani ? Looks like amma was scared that someone would have killed us like my father got killed.

He grit his teeth as he spoke the last sentence and raised his head to look at his mother who froze on seeing his blood shot eyes. She started trembling and stuttered unable to speak a word.

Kanmani locked the door this time and tried to move towards him but he stopped her showing his palm. He kicked the teapoy before him and Mathi sobbed gulping in fear.

Veera: Appavukku enna nadandhuchu ? ( What happened to appa ?)

Mathi knew there was no going back from the way he questioned her, his voice full of anger and frustration.

Kanmani: Veera you are scaring her. Calm down.

Veera: You want me to calm down ? How could you keep this from me Kanmani ? You knew it from the beginning.. wait let me first hear from my goddess mother and then I will come to you. I want answers now.

Mathi: Veera, I m sorry. Please forgive me. I didn't do it intentionally but I wanted you to be safe..

Veera: I don't want to hear your any stories. Just tell me what happened 8 years back.

Mathi: Your father was against Singaram for giving trouble to people. I tried to convince him to stop meddling with his business but your father never paid heed to my words. I didn't knew things were going out of control until that day when Singaram arrived at our home with his men.

His men shut our mouth and Singaram gave an injection to your father and released us only when he knew your father was in death bed. He threatened that he will kill you too if I revealed this to anyone.

Soon after he left Kanmani arrived home and she tried to scream for help but your father stopped her as he knew his end. 

Kanmani: He wanted us to be together in our life and I promised him that.

Mathi: He got a promise from me that I will let you fight for the justice for the people. We both saw your father breathing his last soon after I made my promise to him. Kanmani is not at fault she wanted to ruin Singaram but I emotionally blackmailed her and made her promise on your father that she will not reveal anything on her own and I will do at the right time.

Kanmani: I forced her so many times to inform everyone but she refused.

Mathi: I had my reasons Veera. I m a mother and I had just lost my husband. How could I lose my son too in the same way as I lost my husband ? Singaram threatened me that he will kill you. I was not ready to see that so I decided to protect you even at the cost of ignoring the promise I made to your father. I called your uncle and with his help I arranged for our stay in Chennai. I know you will refuse so I told you about the decision only the moment we were about to leave. This is the reason I didn't want you to stay in village. I wanted you to marry Kanmani because I felt atleast one of the promise to your father will be fulfilled. Please forgive me Veera, I did everything only for your sake.