#Part ₁₂ - Aᴛ Wʜᴀᴛ Cᴏsᴛ?

Start from the beginning

She released a shuddering breath, one she hadn't realised she had been holding.

She skimmed her eyes back behind her, locking her gaze on Fenrys once again. Blood was marring his white fur. His features twisted in agony.

Rayla winced, he was in pain and she needed to work fast. The sounds of yelling soldiers and the flashing of metal almost overpowered her pumping heart.

The only thing she could do to slow down him dying was give everything she had.

She hovered her hands over his heart and placed them above each other lowering them down placing them above his slow heart.

She closed her eyes, focusing on the small tug of her magic, needing- wanting to be released.

She could feel her veins growing warmer, her skin pricked at the tingling sensation travelling through her body. Her hands finally were warmer than they should be.

Rayla didn't need to open her eyes to know golden light was illuminating from her palms, shining so bright that closing her eyes didn't do a single thing.

She cracked both eyes open. Fenrys hadn't even flinched, hadn't moved a single inch. She was not doing enough.

She channeled deeper and deeper, into her power.

Yes she had healed Aelin, but this was different. It felt different. It felt as if she didn't have a choice, her body was just doing it. Leeching off of her magic.

She started gritting her teeth as sweat started to bead on her forehead.

Her jaw clenched, and her hands started to shake.

Don't give up now. Not now. Come on Rayla.

Her breathing was uneven and her arms were now shaking with the power so drastically draining.

"Fuck!" she gritted out through clenched teeth.

Her whole body was now spasming, but she couldn't stop now, no.

⤛⤚⟞༺☼༻⟝⤙⤜

Fenrys:

His dreams were clouded with memories and flashbacks, and then there were other images, images of things that hadn't yet happened. Rayla was on a wide outstretched balcony, her long locks of silver hair shining in the sunsets light, her skin golden brown, and a wide smile was plastered across her face as she looked back at him. She looked happy, he felt happy, looking at her, being with her.

But before he could take a step towards her dark clouds forced their way into his eye of sight, she disappeared just like that.

Death was creeping its way in, he felt weird. He just wanted to see her one last time. But he couldn't force his eyes open.

Everything hurt, he didn't feel anything but pain. Strong unyielding pain.

⤛⤚⟞༺☼༻⟝⤙⤜

Rayla:

By now she nothing other than pain, heartache and longing.

The golden light only got brighter, which made her eyes water. She was doing everything she could to savour Fenrys time, he couldn't die.