Chapter 56: Her Biggest Fan

Start from the beginning

Penny and I video chatted when we could, swapping stories of our new west coast and east coast adventures. She was flourishing in LA, already scoring some tattoo gigs. Meanwhile, I was finding my artistic community.

"Hey, rockstar! How's LA treating the new tattoo queen?" I asked.

She spun the camera to show off her latest work - an intricate mandala design covering someone's calf. "Like you wouldn't believe! This new shop owner, Logan, is from a tiny Texas town like us.He graduated from college about three years ago and now he's giving me a real chance."

"That's amazing! I'm so happy for you," I gushed. "You were too talented for Fred to appreciate."

Penny nodded. "Seriously. Anyway, enough about me—how's the big internship? Are they still keeping you busy with coffee runs?" She laughed her trademark cackle.

"You know it!" I joined her laughter. "But it's been incredible. I'm learning so much about the industry."

"I'll bet. And hey, has Mr. Scott put a ring on it yet?" She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

I rolled my eyes. "Very funny. Outside Pinecrest, he's just a really cool, regular guy, you know. "

"If you say so." Penny fanned herself dramatically.

As closing night loomed, saying goodbye to Urban Oasis' colorful characters and energetic environment made my heart twinge. Mr. Scott took me out to his friend's bar to celebrate an internship well done. While Mr. Scott ordered a drink, I opted for ginger ale.

"So you're drinking?" I asked.

"Just one drink!" Mr. Scott said sternly as we sat down.

I laughed. "Famous last words!"

One drink turned into...well, by the time we left, Mr. Scott was leaning heavily on my shoulder, belting showtunes at the top of his lungs. I steered him down the sidewalk, laughing myself silly while feeling surprised to see this unrestrained side of him. But then I reminded myself: Mr. Scott was still 27 after all—mid or late, it didn't matter; he was still young and enjoying life.

"Mr. Scott..." I tried to help him balance as he attempted a wobbly pirouette.

"Ben! For the hundredth time, please, Ben!" He swatted my arm, missing and nearly toppling over. "Call me, Ben!" he slurred. "Listen, I cut loose once in a while!" He attempted jazz hands, which quickly turned into flailing.

I caught him chuckling. "Fine. Though at this rate, you'll be 'cutting loose' straight into that fire hydrant."

"Shhhhh," he hissed, his pointer finger bouncing all over the place. "Imma lil bit drunk but also...living my best lifeeee!"

He tried to sashay away confidently, only to trip over his own feet again. I just smiled and steered him safely the rest of the way home.

As I guided the stumbling Mr. Scott, seeing him like this was both startling and illuminating. After getting to know him better, I no longer felt that nervous crush feeling around him. Instead, a friendly affection and understanding blossomed after glimpsing this hidden fun-loving part of him.

Mr. Scott was more than just my high school teacher; in letting loose his inhibitions, he allowed me to see a new dimension to who he was as a person.

The next morning, as he drove me to the airport, he complained that his head was pounding. I teased him about the night before, and he just laughed and pulled me in for a quick hug.

So, yes. We're casually hugging now. Oookay.

"You're awesome, Wendy," he whispered. "Small town and big city. Never forget that spark, okay?"