Chapter 2

4 Years Ago

We open to a new scene. A scene that starts with the view of the old city where Zeke and his friends came from. 

Zeke: This is Jenshu Cheng. An old fashioned gloomy city of stick, stone, and fog. Actually, it's one of the villages where most of the citizens reside. No culture, no happiness, no music, it's just people just living their daily lives, doing their daily jobs, living in a village that is full of nothing but crap. 

The scene shifts through the village. People in lines to do taxes, some doing laundry, some homeless, some getting arrested, blacksmiths, or just people who are just carrying supplies.

Zeke: Apparently, ever since Saul took over the village, he just wanted people to live in perfect harmony and to carry on with their normal lives. And since the people were too scared to resist, those were the terms we agreed to. But to those who didn't agree, some were killed or put into prison. So what category do I follow under, you ask? Where does my story start? Apparently, it starts in a prison. Gross, smelly, dark, damp, stuck-in-a-hellhole prison.

The scene shifts past the city and to an enormous gated tower that looked like a prison. Then it went inside to where it was dark. Cells on both sides which are full of prisoners.

Zeke: I'm stuck here because my father assassinated Saul when I was a kid. He thought that he could finally free their society. But the responsibility went over to Saul's youngest son, Ananias Saul, who shared his father's beliefs. And what my father did, set an example of what I was. I was sent away from my home to be a soldier. While I was away, Saul killed my father and he attempted to bargain with me. I declined and I got thrown in jail. Unfortunately, a king doesn't like when a prophet transgresses against him. 

The scene finally shifts to one cell with a silhouetted prison looking out.

Zeke: And I've been stuck in here for years. Of course, time, given long enough, gives you enough ways to understand more. To see more. To hear more. For me, it's given me a new-

?: You know you do that a lot?

The silhouetted figure looks over to a scraggly old wolf with dirty clothes.

Zeke: What?

Cellmate: You talk to yourself a lot. Why do you do that? 

Zeke looked away.

Zeke: Why should you care?

Cellmate: It's creepy. I'm right here too, y'know?

Zeke: It helps me think. To get my thoughts out in the open.

Cellmate: You could just talk to me. Y'know, like a therapist?

Zeke: That just makes me feel uncomfortable.

Cellmate: Oh, so it's like journaling, is it?

Zeke began to get annoyed.

Zeke: Like what?

Cellmate: Like journaling. You can just write down your feelings so that you can read them down in case you forget them. What better way than to put them in your pocket?

Zeke: Why? And besides I don't have a pencil or paper.

Cellmate: You can just write on the wall, then. Here, I've got chalk that I use for the date marks.

The prisoner held out his hand but he wasn't holding chalk.

Zeke: That's a finger bone.

Cellmate: Oh, I know that. We don't have chalk, so I just use bone remnants from my last cellmate.