Chapter 8

Waking up to find that Alice and Jasper had left through the night wasn't uncommon. All of our three person sleepovers were unsanctioned, which meant they arrived late at night and left early in the morning. It wasn't a nightly occurrence like with Bella and Edward, something that the latter was very upset and embarrassed I knew about, but it happened frequently enough for me to know what to expect. Jasper and I sleep while Alice spends most nights sowing or designing clothes, it's rare for her to actually sleep. In the morning I'll wake up alone with a note from Jasper and a text from Alice, who is much more tech savvy than him. Then I'll get ready, go to school and we'll all meet up and pretend that we're all completely normal teenagers dealing with completely normal things.

Except that there's no note on my nightstand, nor waiting text on my phone. Which sure, out of the norm but not anything to be concerned about. They are just people after all, they're allowed to forget things. Especially after the disaster that was Rosalie and Emmet's arrival last night.

"Good morning Eleonor!" Greeted Miss Jennifer from the kitchen. She was cooking breakfast while Chris sat at the table, already eating his breakfast portion.

"Hi Ellie!" Chris practically screeched between bites of his cereal. Miss Jennifer let out a soft but firm 'inside voice baby' but otherwise continued her task. "Sit, sit!" he gestured excitedly at the chair next to him, so i did.

"You gonna have breakfast here today, dear?" Miss Jennifer asked, sparing me a smile.

"It would appear so." I said, returning her smile before Chris once again demanded my attention, excitedly telling me about a new dinosaur book his dad promised to get him today. Before long Mr. Brown came down the stairs, dressed in his usual work attire, a finely pressed suit, not a button or hair out of place. He passed the table, greeted me with a nod and a firm 'Eleonor' and patted his son on the head, which did nothing to deter his long rant about the Mesozoic Era, a word which I didn't think any five your old would know, or could pronounce. Then Mr.Brown made his way to his wife and greeted her with a kiss, she in turn peppered his face with kisses.

It was cute, he was so reserved, she was very affectionate. Which isn't to say he wasn't affectionate, in his own way, he seemed to show it differently, and his family was content with that. He paid a lot of attention, and I mean a lot. Miss Jennifer mentioned to anyone she was interested in a pair of shoes, they'd be in her closet within the week, or if she mentioned a craving for a dish, he'd make it for her. It was the same with Chris, today was a prime example, he was taking half the day off his finely tuned work schedule just to take Chris get the new book as soon as it arrived at the store. Hell, he even got me a pair of boots when I complained that the ones I brought from home didn't work in this weather. Which was all to say that he was a nice guy, even if I was sure his face was incapable of emoting.

After greeting his wife he took his designated seat next to his son and began engaging with him. He always spoke to people like people, even his five year old. He asked him genuine questions about the dinosaurs he spoke of and all the theories surrounding them. I found that refreshing after everyone back home treated me like I was suddenly a child again, dumbing things down or not telling me anything at all in fear that it would set me off. This tactic always had the opposite effect. Often being completely blindsided by some bad news or situation, which would result in the panic attacks, or over-reactions as some in my family called them, I was so known for.

After a while Miss Jennifer sat at the table with the 'grown-up' breakfast in hand and began telling me her plans for the day. Her day consisted of teaching her pre-K class until 2, then leaving Chris at the bank with his dad so they could go get the book, groceries and then her weekly get together with the local ladies. I ate my breakfast quietly and nodded when appropriate, as nice as she was, Miss Jennifer did like to ramble.

Before the New MoonOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara