Chapter 3 - Observation

Start from the beginning

For the next few seconds, Connor searched the possibilities of answers that presented themselves on his screen in order to offer her an answer that was both adequate and concrete. With what he'd discovered the day before, he wanted imperatively to answer Amanda's questions. But for some strange reason, he was hesitating about the last part of the interrogation. At that moment, when the deviant had revealed something intriguing to him... He didn't yet understand the significance of this risk-taking, nor why he had confided in him knowing that he was against this empirical phenomenon of deviance. Was it some kind of warning? A coded message? Nevertheless, he had to remain professional and authentic to his mission, so he confided in her.

"It showed signs of PTSD after being abused by its owner, as if its original program had been completely replaced by new instructions." He explained, glaring at Amanda who had her back to him again.

"This ... Lieutenant Anderson has been officially assigned to the deviancy case... What do you make of him?" Amanda continued. Connor didn't miss the cold tone she used to talk about his fierce-tempered teammate. He deduced that she was suspicious of him. Granted, he had a lot to say about the Lieutenant, but he didn't want to exasperate her any further.

"I think he's irritable, and socially challenged. But I also think he used to be a good detective... He's an intriguing character." He concluded with a nod, satisfied with this short answer. Not having enough information to form an opinion, he preferred to err on the side of caution for the time being.

"And ... What do you think about the girl?" Amanda turned back to the Android, then squinted as she considered him, rolling the stem of the rose between two fingers.

Connor froze under her analytical gaze as he pondered this most ordinary of questions. It was a classic interrogation, yet he felt the need to think about the answer he was going to give her. The conviction that this answer would determine the fate of the Lieutenant's niece within the investigation. So far, the young woman had been a great help to him and had been genuinely kind to him. On the face of it, she had a sense of justice and duty. In other words, this human was... As fascinating as her uncle, while showing a great respect for Androids.

"She is... Dedicated to what she does. She shows empathy for Androids and will probably be very helpful as the investigation progresses." That was all he had to say to Amanda about Jenna Anderson. He saw no need to spell out any other highlights of this meeting at the moment, for the simple reason that he had to gain their trust first.

On the other hand, this answer didn't seem to convince Amanda, who gave him a sideways glance and said nothing else as she studied him closely. He could discern a change in her demeanor, in her silent judgment. It was minimal, but legible. Disapproval. Then she stared at him for a moment, her facial features drawn into a deep rictus as she assessed his answers. Under her steady gaze, the Android RK800, confused by this reaction, blinked before stopped smiling for quickly gathering further answers in its internal computer. Except that she spoke again before he could come up with any more pertinent arguments.

"Unfortunately, we have no choice but to work with them. What do you think is the best approach?" Amanda then asked with a touch of indifference mixed with irritation as she surveyed the motionless, inexpressive Android.

Connor never took his eyes off her as he determined which choice would best answer this new question. Each of these questions was a real challenge. A silent threat... CyberLife wanted to make sure that he was and always would be up to the task of this crucial mission, so it was crucial that he provided the answers they wanted to hear. The LED at his temple flashed blue as he reviewed the answers on his screen, studying them one by one to choose the one that would best suit them.

What would be the best approach? Be friendly, indifferent, adapt, or continue to observe? In the end, he decided to adapt.

"I will adapt to their respective personalities. It is in the best interest of the investigation that I avoid conflict and try to accommodate their psychology." He replied honestly. Amanda's confidence was not shaken.