Chapter Fifteen

HENRY 

"What the fuck," I snapped as I rose to the surface. Behind me, a mechanic, who I was pretty sure was called Jack, cackled.

"God, you made that easy," he laughed.

I shook my head as I noticed I wasn't the only one pushed in. Sydney's mojito sat next to mine on the edge of the pool, but she was nowhere to be found.

I turned my body, splashing water all over Jack in the process. "Sydney?" I yelled. I turned to the mechanic. "Did you push her in as well?"

Jack nodded. "Well, yeah. You were both sitting on the edge."

I dove under the water, the salt stinging my eyes as I attempted to open them and search for her. The pool wasn't that big, she couldn't have disappeared like that.

Within seconds, a soft hand grabbed mine before we both rose to the surface.

"Oh my god," I sighed. "Are you okay?"

Sydney coughed and I was worried she'd swallowed a ton of disgusting pool water. But then she started laughing hysterically. "I'm fine. I'm fine." She looked around the pool, and I did the same. Everyone was staring at us. Some smiling. Some concerned.

"I'm fine," she repeated. "It took me by surprise, but fuck I needed this." She lay on her back and floated like a starfish, staring up at the sky with zero fucks given. Her dress was absolutely see-through now that it was soaked.

"Sydney," I whispered as I timidly watched the crowd raise their eyebrows. She couldn't hear me like this. Her ears were fully submerged. "Sydney." My tone was more affirming this time.

She lifted her head, her hair dark and the water beneath us rippling. She swam to a place where we could both touch the ground before hovering her body below the surface. It was as if she knew exactly what I was going to say.

"Loosen up," she laughed as she grabbed my bicep and squeezed it. "It's okay."

I shook my head. "He could've hurt you."

She laughed. "I can swim. It's okay. But thank you for your care." She looked around at the crowd. "Come on," she yelled. "Join us."

I followed her gaze. Everyone seemed apprehensive at first but the "Sydney effect" took over within seconds. I watched as three engineers dove straight into the deep end, and even Theo decided to dip his legs into the water. 

"That's more like it," she cheered. She looked over at Jack. "Come on, mate. Don't tell me you can't take what you dish."

Jack smiled before shaking his head and cannonballing into the water. I had no idea how she'd convinced a bunch of people to jump into the water in their clothes but fuck it was impressive.

"God, now everyone's watching," I sighed. Contrary to what the tabloids said, I actually hated events like this where I was forced to mingle and make small talk. I was confident when I needed to be, but it didn't mean I was doing it with a smile on my face. Everyone and their dogs had their eyes on the fiasco taking place in the pool. 

Sydney swam closer as she sensed my unease. She wrapped her arms around my neck and gently rubbed her thumb over my sensitive skin, making my muscles soften instantly. "Then let's give them something to talk about." She leaned on her toes until she was whispering in my ear. "Place your hands under my arse when I wrap my legs around your waist."

I had no idea where this side of Sydney had come from. Every conversation until now had been playful and fun. This has elements of tease. It was risqué...and hot. Oh, it was hot alright.