Chapter 22 - Why Daisy And Not Me?

Chapter 22

Why Daisy And Not Me?

Juliet stood by the window that faced the driveway of the manor, looking out for the three carriages that came for Daisy in the morning. The long wait was making her queasy with uneasiness. She chewed on her lower lip, pondering over the reason Prince Richard would bring a convoy to pick up Daisy. Royal convoys were reserved for special purposes. To Richard, Daisy should not appear as anyone of importance other than her relative.

His ride through the park had amused her as it had been very clear the incident had been his desperate attempt to get her attention. Hearing no word from her since he proposed and no response to the letter he had written to her shortly after must have made him very anxious, she perceived. It had been rather disturbing when he asked Daisy instead of her for his first dance, his only dance, during the Bair Havel ball. Even though she had been sure he wouldn't show up, she had been excited to know if he graced the occasion by chance, he'd be the first lady he bowed to. How very disappointing it had been Daisy, again, that had experienced that fluttering honour. And now that. A convoy to take her for a city tour. Royal convoys on the street could spark writers' interest and cause them to follow them in pursuit of their next story about the royal family. She believed it was for that reason he had never brought out a branded carriage for their use when he took her out. If a journalist had tailed the convoy today, the publicity could throw their lengthy time together without proper chaperon into a scandal. Richard would be seen in a different light, Daisy morals would be questioned which would cast a dark shade over the entire family's values and if one day, their engagement became public knowledge, she would be seen as the third fiddle, second-best to her cousin.

Her mother had been anxious too. First, about the prince's intention for coming for Daisy, and then, about how late it was getting. After dinner, she had pulled her aside to interrogate her about the details of his relationship with the prince. She had to reveal Richard had already proposed to her to put her mind at ease. Her mother was delighted about the news. She sat in the lady's room, already planning her wedding to the prince.

Her heartbeat accelerated as flashes of light on the driveway gave way to the three carriages which sailed almost silently to the doors. She rushed downstairs, but paused at the door, her heart sinking past her abdomen. Through the tainted glass of the window beside the door, she saw Richard get out of the carriage. In his arms was Daisy. If a journalist had witnessed a similar scene while they were out, the news outburst in the next edition of the 'Eye Witness' would be explosive. Daisy might very well be mistaken as his intended bride. Her face clouded over, and a tear trickled down her cheek as she watched the intimate scene, then very quietly, she closed the door and floated away before Richard walked to the door.

Lady Perribea came downstairs immediately she was informed the royal convoy had arrived

Lady Perribea came downstairs immediately she was informed the royal convoy had arrived. She had been listening for them, each hour that passed by fanning her anxiety until she was red-hot with fury. The gentleman who had taken her niece out was soon to be married to her daughter and as such it was very late for a man to bring back a young lady he picked up in the morning for an outing around the city. How the tongues would wield Daisy if anyone found out about it. Coupled with the incident at Bair Havel, Daisy would likely not receive another invitation. Her popularity will plummet. she would be the object of scorn and could even be termed easy which would greatly tarnish Juliet and Cynthia as well and her credibility as a chaperone would be subjected to scrutiny before she sponsored any young woman.

The prince was already at the door, delivering Daisy into Alfred's arm. She stopped and watched the proceedings with a scowl.

"Prince Richard?"

Richard bowed in her direction. "My lady, it was entirely my fault for our return at this late hour. We had a situation on our way back which caused the delay."

A situation that was likely caused by Daisy, she seethed, watching her niece's serene face in sleep.

"Alfred, put her down and let her find her way to her room. She's not an invalid to be carried upstairs."

Alfred complyingly set Daisy onto the marble floor. She had already awoken from the sharp command his aunt dealt the old butler. Her eyes darted nervously from her aunt to Richard and back again, understanding her aunt was furious and she was in trouble.

"Where did you go, Your Highness?" Her aunt shot Richard a pointed look.

"Around Cambrooke then to Wenworth. She fell asleep on our journey back."

"Wait for me in the parlour, Daisy," her aunt instructed stiffly.

"I am to be blamed, Lady Perribea. Daisy is very tired. Kindly allow her to get some rest," Richard said apologetically when Daisy was out of sight.

Lady Perribea's lips thinned, "Of course, you have done nothing wrong, Your Highness. Please have a safe trip back to the palace."

He inclined his head in a polite bow and walked out the door. Alfred obligingly closed it after him.

Richard remained behind the door, debating with whether to bulge in again and ensure Daisy would not be unduly punished for something that was essentially not her fault. Running recklessly to her defence might make her situation worsen, so he steered himself away from the entrance platform before his whim won over common sense.