Leave

"You haven't asked us anything about our New York trip," Mercedes remarked, her spoon swirling through her coffee, creating small ripples in the dark liquid.

Mercedes, Tina, Kurt, and Blaine had gathered at the Lima Bean to catch up, their voices mingling with the soft hum of conversation and the clinking of cups.

"Is it because it's too painful?" Tina inquired, her brow furrowed with concern as she tapped her fingers rhythmically on the table's surface.

Kurt sighed softly, his gaze drifting off for a moment before returning to his friends. "Yes, as a matter of fact," he admitted, his tone tinged with a hint of sadness, "but while the New Directions are preparing to perform at Nationals, the Columbus drama club is gearing up for a performance at a nursing home in a strip mall. But I'm so proud of you guys," he added, a small smile playing at the corners of his lips, appreciating the dedication and talent of his friends.

"We miss you so much."

"Isn't there any way you could come back to McKinley?"

The Warbler nodded solemnly, his hand resting supportively on his boyfriend's shoulder. "I told him, I would be all for it if it wasn't for Karofsky," he explained, his voice tinged with concern. "Kurt needs to be safe."

"Hey, can I come in?"

Shelby turned from her position at the control panel, her eyes lighting up at the sight of Kurt. "Sure, come on in."

Kurt entered with a tentative smile, settling into an armchair positioned strategically to observe his friends on the other side of the glass, deep in the throes of rehearsing their new song for the upcoming album.

"How's it going in there?"

The woman's smile widened, a blend of pride and determination crossing her features. "It's a challenging project, but they're making progress. Still some tweaks to be made, but they're definitely on the right path."

On the other side of the glass, Jayden experimented with different drum rhythms, his concentration palpable as he searched for the perfect beat. Asher plucked at the strings of his bass guitar, his fingers dancing across the frets with practiced ease, while Isaac, lost in his own world, tested out various vocal tones.

"Isaac might not realize it, but he's got more of his mother in him than he knows," Shelby mused, her gaze drifting to a framed photograph resting on the nearby shelf. The picture captured a younger Shelby and Sophia, Isaac's mother, standing side by side in the very studio they now occupied.

"What was she like?"

"Sophia was... she was a force of nature," she began, a fond smile tugging at her lips as she reached for the photograph. "Her parents were staunchly against her artistic pursuits, being doctors themselves, but despite their disapproval, Sophia's talent shone through."

"I discovered her during her junior year, and from the moment she joined Vocal Adrenaline, it was evident that she possessed a truly unique gift. There was a quality to her voice, an intangible something that captivated anyone who heard her. The way she conveyed emotion through her music was... breathtaking."

"Do you miss her?"

"Every day.Whenever I see Isaac perform, or pass by the auditorium... it's like she's still here, in spirit. Sophia may have been quieter than Isaac, but they both share that same passionate fire within them. It's what sets them apart, what makes them truly special."

Kurt nodded in understanding, his gaze drifting back to Isaac as he sang with unwavering determination, lost in the music. "It's like... they're rays of sunshine on the gloomiest of days. They won't rest until they've spread a little joy to everyone around them."