Doctor: Each of you comes here hopeful. Wanting in on the game. A month ago you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will cr*ck under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play? That's up to you.

Meredith VO: Like I said. I'm screwed.

(Fadeout to logo, then cut to intern locker room.)

Doctor: Okay. Martin, Robinson, Bond, Parkins.

Meredith: Only six women out of twenty.

Female Korean intern (Cristina Yang): Yeah. I hear one of them's a model. Seriously, like that's going to help with the respect thing?

Daisy: I don't think I'd want that type of attention on me for my first day, people jacking off to my picture? (She said with a look of disgust on her face)

Meredith: You're Cristina, right? And you're Daisy?

Cristina: Which resident you assigned to? I got Bailey.

Meredith: The nazi? Yeah, me too.

Daisy: I also got Bailey.

Male intern (George O'Malley): You got the nazi? So did I. At least we'll be tortured together, right? I'm George O'Malley, uh, we met at the mixer, you had a black dress with a slit up the side, strappy sandals...(Cristina, Daisy, and Meredith exchange looks)

George: Now you think I'm gay.

Cristina: (walking away) Uh-huh.

Daisy: Well, maybe... (Though Daisy couldn't really say anything since she was a lesbian, Leah was bisexual, and Seth was pansexual, it would be pretty hypocritical of her.)

George: No, I'm not gay, it's, ah, it's just that, you know, you were, I mean, you were very, unforgettable.

Doctor: O'Malley, Yang, Grey, Stevens, Black.

George: (muttering) And I'm totally forgettable.

Cristina: (to Doctor) Bailey?

Doctor: End of the hall.

Cristina: That's the nazi?

(Medium shot of Dr. Bailey. She's short, black and a bit curvy, She doesn't look very threatening.)

George: I thought the nazi would be a guy.

Meredith: I thought the nazi would be...a nazi.

Pretty female intern (Izzie Stevens): Maybe it's professional jealousy. Maybe she's brilliant, and they call her nazi because they're jealous. Maybe she's nice.

Daisy: Or maybe because they respect and fear her for how good she is at her job?

Cristina: Let me guess. You're the model.

(Izzie gives Cristina a look and turns to Dr. Bailey, smiling and extending a hand)

Izzie: Hi, I'm Isabel Stevens, but everyone calls me Izzie.

(Bailey looks her up and down, doesn't respond or shake her hand)

Bailey: I have five rules. Memorise them. Rule number one, don't bother sucking up, I already hate you, that's not gonna change. (indicates stuff on the bench) Trauma protocol, phone lists, pagers. Nurses will page you, you answer every page at a run. A run, that's rule number two. Your first shift starts now and lasts forty-eight hours. You're interns, (�Hour 1' comes up on the screen), grunts, nobodies, bottom of the surgical food chain, you run labs, write orders, work every second night till you drop and don't complain! (Cut to Bailey opening the door to a room with a couple of bunk beds). On call rooms. Attendings hog them, sleep when you can, where you can, which brings me to rule number three, if I'm sleeping, don't wake me, unless your patient is actually dying. Rule number four, the dying patient better not be dead when I get there, not only would you have k*lled someone, you would have also woke me for no good reason, we clear?