REL Test

Damien Knight

I watched as Atlas walked towards the machinery. 'His reaction earlier seemed more like a reaction to trauma then a sudden sick feeling.' I thought to myself as I hesitantly followed behind him wondering what kind of memories this room could've brought up.

Atlas was mystery after all. His application was sent anonymously and barely had any information on his background.

His application stated his Regalia, 'regeneration', the fact he came from a powerful family, his name, date of birth and nothing else.

His acceptance into the school was so sudden, even I, who ran the school had no clue as to how he was accepted so quickly. Out of my own curiosity I tasked some private investigators to dig and try and find some information on him. But it was harder than expected, we didn't even have his last name after all.

I had some of the best investigators I could find working on Atlas but after a week we had still found nothing.

There was not a single shred of information about anyone called Atlas on any database. Obviously, this is why I introduced them to the school personally.

I was beyond shocked to see Winston with him. The previous most powerful Regalia user working as a simple butler? It only made my curiosity extend past its peak.

Winston was a very solitary person, he refused to join any team when going into gates and whenever someone tried to scout him he would immediately deny.

So, what kind of family would be able to convince him to babysit their child?

"-mien? Damien?" Atlas' voice drew me from my thoughts as I focused my attention on him.

"Sorry, kid. I was just lost in thought." As I made up me excuse his eyes narrowed and he quickly responded.

"Are you starting to fade out, old timer?" Hearing his witty response I took a slow breath in through my nose. 'let's try not to kill a child today,' I thought to myself as I slowly released my deep breathe.

"Whatever, how does this REL test work?" he asked me curiously as he turned on his heel towards the machinery and started poking at it.

"Ugh... The Regalia Energy Level, or REL test, is a type of test which allows us to see how potent the power of your Regalia is. The test is scaled between 0.01 and 100." I explained in as simple terms as I could, not even bothering to ask why he'd never heard of REL "Do you get what I'm saying so far." I quickly asked and waited for his confirmation.

"I get it so far, I think." He said while nodding.

"Alright then, I will continue." I said as I took a breath getting ready to finish my explanation.

"Your Regalia is regeneration so let's use that as an example. If you had a REL of 1 you'd almost be able to heal micro cuts and maybe a tiny bruise, whereas if you had a 100, you would be nearly immortal, able to regrow limbs and organs. The speed of your regeneration and the stamina it would use also depends on the REL. A person's REL isn't set in stone and can be increased as they use their Regalia more and grow accustomed with it." I stopped to make sure Atlas was still listening and then quickly began talking before he could ask any questions.

"One more thing, every person with a Regalia has enhanced physical abilities such as, strength, speed, durability, endurance and even reaction time that scale off of their REL. This means even if you have a Regalia that's practically useless for fighting you could still kick ass."

'And that's the last time I ever explain Regalia theory.' I thought to myself letting out a pained breath.

"Hey, Old timer?" I draw myself from my thoughts and look towards him, "What?" I asked, bothered by the effort this was taking.