Normal

══════•°• 🍎 •°•══════

The closed metal gate behind Howdy's shop and Eddie's Post Office unnerved Home. Rust on the gate's padlock brought slight comfort that one can't go in or out without a say so.

The neighborhood was quiet today. No birds sang their usual tune. Insects lay hidden in the grass, it was eerie even with the sun. Home at the center of it all watched warily. It could tell that their neighbors weren't alright.

Julie's hopscotch game drawn in chalk made no difference. She'd smiled at Poppy but a glance at Home afterward had left her concerned. In Frank's garden, they tended to their sunflowers. Their usual frown is lost in the abundant fauna. He had Julie to thank for that. By following her instructions in talking to the plants they bloomed quickly. Yet, today they could tell that Julie wasn't doing so well.

Sally and her hadn't been as close lately.

Eddie mentioned that on his latest mail run, he'd tried to ask them separately if they were alright. Sally said to him "Mailman, I'm too busy". And needed to finish writing the ending for her play. He didn't press further after that. Meanwhile, Julie had said nothing was wrong. And muttered to herself,

"It hasn't been the same without Wally."

He believes that his time lost in the forest still makes her feel guilty – Sally too possibly. Speaking of, Wally refused to leave Home since he got sick. Barnaby looked to be taking it the hardest. Poppy was doing her best to calm him. A very out-of-ordinary role for her as the epitome of worrying. All of them talked on the phone but Wally didn't say anything about him being better. Even if the neighbors tried to ask during his nightly "goodnight" routine.

"Silly, I'm not alone. I have Home and...You." He would trail off.

Howdy believed that the little guy was sad about something. And even though he disliked him stealing the apple produce, left some in a bag every day a new shipment arrived. Even peeked at the display thinking he saw a glimpse of blue hair in the corner of his vision.

Despite it all Barnaby still hung around outside of Home to chat, the house loved to hear about its neighbors. Its eyes can only see part of the place. Often responding in creaks or puffs of smoke. They all, in their ways, missed Wally being out and about.

By now, the sunlight annoyed Julie. The hot weather increased her frustrations. Picking up her plastic chalk container, she got up in a huff, stomping her way inside the barn. Poppy heard the door slam shut behind her. Aside from a flinch she'd kept her eyes fixed forwards.

Poppy felt deep down in her heart that something was wrong.

She'd busied herself by hanging clothing to dry. The task did little to silence her mind's ever-growing questions. Poppy was the one to suggest they all give Wally more time to himself. However, the colorful bird was regretting the decision. Things felt too quiet and hollow somehow. And his answers over the phone about what ailment he suffered from made no sense. So she started to wonder what else could cause the little puppet to hide away.