1: Random Glowing Marble? As If.

"Luke, let's go, Luke!" my sister Florry says, excitedly clapping her hands together as she sits on the stool in front of me.

I pull on my battered trainers before scooping her up in my arms. "Okay!" I step outside into the street, closing the door behind me.

Sorry, I have forgotten to introduce myself: my name is Luke Anderson and I am thirteen years old. I live in a small house with my mom and my three-year-old sister, Florry. If you are wondering about my dad, he is currently in the army and has been since I was a baby.

I am currently about to take my sister for our daily walk through the park. Even if it is hotter than fifty degrees, we still go- it's tradition. Right now, my mom is out shopping, which is good.

I carry Florry on my hip as we walk, and she makes it her duty to point out everything that's even remotely yellow- she has been addicted to the colour for the past few months, and I am always having to stop her from looking directly at the sun.

When I pass Mrs Forde, she gives me one of her special looks of digust. I ignore her and walk away, frowning. She looks down on my family just because we adopted Florry when no one wanted her. Mom told me she thinks family should be nothing but blood, and to let someone in is being a disgrace. Mom also said she was an old hag who cares about no one but herself.

I get to the park a lot faster than I normally would have, for some reason. Maybe the heat is making me speed up. Oh well.

I gently place Florry on the ground, giving her the instructions, "Do not wander off. Stay close to Luke. Okay?"

She nods solemnly. "Okay. No wanding off." 

I think she may have taken it too seriously, because she holds my hand and stays close to me for the next ten minutes. Then she sees a bird and runs over to it, frowning when it flies away in alarm.

She walks back over to me and grabs my hand again. "Bird not like me." she says sadly.

I pick her up. "No, perhaps it just realised it was late for its lunch." I lie, hoping she would believe me.

Thankfully, Florry understands. "Okay," she said, and pats my hand. "I find a new bird!"

And, naturally, she goes back to stating everything that's yellow. Here we go again.

While we make our way around the park, I let my thoughts wander. What would life be like if my dad wasn't in the army? If he was at home with us, along with everyone else? But I know it's futile to think like that: the wars have been going on for ages, and it seems like they will never stop. Mom says we are lucky to not have to live in a place that is really effected by war and the climate- some places are so bad people are committing suicide just to escape the torture.

Suddenly, Florry gives a squeal of delight and points out something on the ground. "Look, Luke! Small ball! 'Arble!"

I stop for a moment, wondering if my sister has gone crazy. Then I see it: a tiny, golden-yellow marble shining on the ground. It is rolling towards us, as if beckoning for us to pick it up. I set Florry on the ground and bend down to pick it up. 

It has a smooth, glass-like feel and as I examine it, I cannot help but think someone left this for us, wanting us to take it. I know it is probably not true, but it is not everyday you see a glowing marble just lying around in a local park.

Florry looks at it, a huge smile erupting on her face. "It's YELLOW!" she cries out, and a few passers-by stop to look at her, some with fondness, others with concern (probably for her sanity).

I laugh slightly and slip it into my pocket for later. "Yes! Now come on, let us go home. Mom is most likely waiting for us."

She nodded and declares happily, "Show mommy yellow 'arble!"