043. a savage daughter

Start from the beginning

Oh, that's it.

Lili released Fred at the same time Harry took his hands off George to sprint at Draco. Lili watched in something between utmost fascination and mild horror while Harry drew back his fist and hurled it hard into Draco's stomach. George was just behind him, and he pounced just as readily onto the Malfoy boy who was screeching rather like a hippogriff.

Honestly, this was a long time coming.

And honestly, Lili didn't know how to proceed — to intervene or not to intervene...

While she was preoccupied with a moral debate (who to help: recently—short—tempered boyfriend or deserving—a—punch cousin), there were rather a lot of teenagers screaming, Draco yelling, George swearing, whistles blowing, and the bellowing of the crowd until someone intervened with the Impediment Jinx, throwing everyone every which way. Hm. While Lili was busy with choosing who to assist, it seemed that everyone had gotten rather beaten up.

Oops.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Madam Hooch screeched, "I've never seen behaviour like it — back up to the castle, both of you, and straight to your Head of House's office! Go! Now!"

Still seething, Harry and George marched off the pitch, both panting, neither saying a word to one another.

Still shocked in the aftermath, Lili could do very little but chase after them. The jeering of the crowd grew quieter 'til she reached the Entrance Hall, where she could hear only the sound of her rapid footsteps. By the time she reached Professor McGonagall's office, the door was already closed and she knew her fellow Gryffindors were getting the scolding of their lives on the other side. Sighing, she sat down on the stone floor, leant her back against the opposite wall, and settled in for a long wait.

It felt like at least a half hour had passed by the time the heavy door swung open.

Still soaked to the skin and covered in mud, Harry slowly stepped out of McGonagall's office — looking rather shell shocked with huge eyes and pale cheeks.

Lili pushed off the wall and cocked her head, "Harry? Love, what happened?"

He blinked at her, dazed and confused. "She... Umbridge kicked me and the twins off the team. I've been... given a lifetime ban."

"A... A lifetime ban? Is that even a thing? How could that possibly be allowed?!"

Harry just stared at her, looking quite stunned.

"Everything's gone wrong, everything, but at least I still had Quidditch. It was all I had left."

Lili hissed through her teeth and quickly drew Harry in for an embrace, sweaty and muddy and all. He dropped his face into her shoulder, arms hugging her tightly. She cradled the back of his curly head and pressed a kiss to his temple. Needing to comfort him, she put her hands on his shoulders and lightly pushed him back to press her lips to his.

"Detention, Miss Snape!"

Lili and Harry whipped round, shocked at the sudden appearance of their absolute least favourite person on bloody earth. Dolores bloody Umbridge. The woman was tutting in disapproval, though her eyes seemed to smirk meanly at them. Oh, this was beyond personal now. First, she went after Harry, and now she was going after Lili. What a b—