012. you're on your own, kid

ACT ONE, chapter twelve :yeah, you can face thisyou're on your own, kidyou always have been

yeah, you can face this
you're on your own, kid
you always have been

ϟ

31 august 1992 — second year.

The Snape's were fighting.

Battling back and forth, engaged in an all—out war, they were. Well, that may be a bit dramatic. Whatever. They'd been at this battle for hours now, and Sev wouldn't allow Lili to stop for even a short break. She was giving it everything she had and she was bloody exhausted — from both the attacks and the lectures.

It was true that most of the attacks were her own. Sometimes her father retaliated, sometimes he didn't. He wasn't hurting her; it was only small zaps — enough to tell her she was being sloppy. It was humiliating. Lili was getting older and Sev had decided it was time she learnt how to properly duel — block unfriendly spells and be willing to fight back with a few of her own. Of course he'd been teaching her things since she could remember, but lately his lessons had only intensified, his tone harsher than ever.

"Try it again."

"Try it again."

"Try it again."

Lili snapped her wand at him, hissing the incantation, but it was no use. Nearly boredly, Sev deflected the spell.

"No. Again."

So, she tried again. And again. And again.

Another lazy flick of the arm, another curse defeated. Sev deflected her attacks as if they were nothing, as if he wasn't even trying. He circled her where she stood in the sitting room, panting and out of breath. Lili was getting angrier and angrier, nearly dancing across the room, advancing on him as best she could. He tsked at her, looking neither tired nor annoyed, just disapproving.

"You are telegraphing your decisions, Lilium. I can see your spells before you cast them. You must master nonverbals if you want to go completely undetected."

She'd mucked up, time and again. She couldn't get a spell to land, no matter what she did. At first he was perhaps simply playing with her, but now, he was retaliating better, sending harsher zaps, and yet she somehow knew he was still holding back.

Lili's hair was coming out of her plaits, her eyes were growing wilder, and her chest was heaving with panting breaths. He blocked and blocked and blocked until she ended up with the tip of his wand at her chest — fourteen inches of ebony against her sternum.

Sev murmured, almost indifferent, "You're dead."

Lili let out a frustrated shriek, arms weak and tired, hurling over a spell that he easily deflected and this time, he zapped her with a bit more force, landing her on her arse.