019. what's my destiny?

ACT ONE, chapter nineteen :'cause, i'm just a girl living in captivityyour rule of thumb makes me worrisomeoh, i'm just a girl, what's my destiny?

'cause, i'm just a girl living in captivity
your rule of thumb makes me worrisome
oh, i'm just a girl, what's my destiny?

ϟ

Back to the Headmaster's office, they went.

The dreams and the revelations came back full force, and Lili felt like she was drowning under the weight of them.

The girl could barely focus on the happenings round her, with the Weasley's cradling poor Ginny and her friends on either side of her. Fawkes had perched on a pedestal behind Dumbledore, who sat at his desk, examining the charred and stabbed diary. Snape must've cast a Scourify on himself because he looked impeccable with his hands folded behind his back while the children were still covered in the soot and dirt of the sewers. It was almost like her father hadn't been down in the Chamber at all, which apparently had been the point.

The Headmaster had dismissed any and all mentions about Snape's efforts, and then had sternly advised the children that the only professor down in the sewers with them had been the now very confused Gilderoy Lockhart.

With a few clever words, Dumbledore had completely buried the truth, and no one would ever be the wiser.

Lili didn't like it.

"Ingenious. Simply... ingenious." The Headmaster dragged her attention back to the real world, a pleased look in his eyes. "Of course, Tom Riddle was probably the most brilliant student Hogwarts has ever seen. I taught him myself fifty years ago. After he left, I would occasionally hear stories of his activities — dark rumors — but after a while, even the rumours stopped. When he finally resurfaced as Lord Voldemort, most people had completely forgotten the clever Head Boy he'd once been."

Lili shifted uneasily. It was frightening to think such evil could come out of Hogwarts, such evil could come out of... of... her own family. She twitched slightly at the memory.

"I didn't know whose diary it was, sir. I swear. I found it inside my cauldron," biting her bottom lip, Ginny glanced at the other kids, "The day we all went to Diagon Alley."

Lili peeked up at Snape with a frown, and while his expression was impassive, she could see a hint of recollection in his eyes.

With her parents' hands on her shoulders, the younger girl fiddled with her sweater, "But I understand if... given all the trouble I've caused... if you—,"

The Headmaster cut in firmly but quietly, "No, Miss Weasley, I think you've endured enough. I would suggest a bit of bed rest, however. And perhaps a large mug of hot chocolate. I always find that cheers me up." His kind eyes trailed to the Gryffindor Head of House when he requested, "Minerva, will you show Arthur and Molly up to the Hospital Wing?"