Chapter 13

Things went back to normal for Lorena and Fermín, who usually had to pick up Gavi from his physio sessions and put up with his jokes. But Lorena didn't mind it. He saw no malice in Gavi like she did in all the other people talking about their relationship. Well, their fake relationship.

"Lorena, how have you never been to a match?", asked Gavi one of the times he was in the car with them.

"I don't know, why should I go?"

"Because you're Fermín's girlfriend", they both tried to talk but Gavi stopped them. "I know, I know. It's fake. But people don't know that and probably expect Lorena to be at the matches lovingly supporting her boyfriend".

"I guess...", Fermín had thought about it a few times but didn't want to pressure Lorena into going. He knew she watched the matches and that was important to him.

"You could sit with me in the stands", offered Gavi.

"That'd draw too much attention to me. I don't want people taking photos or videos while I'm there. It's...weird".

"How about we get you tickets for normal seats?"

Fermín looked at his friend and nodded. "Yeah, we could do that. No one would know who you are if you're in between random people".

"I mean...it could be fun. When do you play at home?"

"Saturday at 4.15".

"We could go out for dinner together after the match", said Gavi, excited about the plan. He hadn't been able to do much hanging out with friends due to his injury.

Lorena wasn't so sure about it but...Gavi was right. And not just because he said people expected Fermín's girlfriend to support him. But because she should support him as his friend.

"Alright. Let's do it. Let's go to the match. But if you lose, I'm not going back again".

"Don't worry. The season has been so bad, I doubt you could bring enough bad luck to make it worse".

They kept chatting about the plans for Saturday until they reached Lorena's dorm.

"See you tomorrow", she said to Fermín and then looked at Gavi. "And I'll see you on Saturday".

"Can't wait!", told her Gavi, offering a hand to high-five him.

"Bye", was all Fermín said. And once Lorena was inside the building, he drove again.

"You're welcome".

"For what?"

"For convincing Lorena to come to a match".

Fermín chuckled. "Yeah, thanks".

The next morning, Fermín was waiting by Lorena's locker with two things in his hands.

"Morning. What is that?"

"Good morning to you too. This is a coffee for you", he said, passing her the cup. "And this is for Saturday".

"What...".

Lorena put the cup down to pick up the bag Fermín offered to her and opened it to find a Barça shirt. When she turned it around, she saw it had Fermín's name on the back and the number 16. His new number.

"So you can wear it to the match".

"But...I didn't want to catch people's attention".

"Lorena, you won't be the only one wearing my shirt. I'm not Gavi but I've got some fans", he laughed. "People will just think I'm your favourite player. Nothing else".