Wash Away the Storm [Shinsou] (Angst)

Note: This will be where I write any and all one-shots without a specific timeline in mind. If you want to read a specific character, I will place a character name and if it's angst, fluff, or smut in the chapter titles so it's easier to find.

Ichijiku (Tigress)

"Hey, are you okay? I heard about what happened last week."

"Do you need a minute?"

"You must be so sad! Why don't you go see Hound Dog?"

All of their voices melt together as I try to make sense of everything happening around me. Getting the call that my grandpa died is crushing, and I haven't really wanted to do much except train and fight to get out all of my anger and sorrow.

My friends in 1-A, however, nudge me to seek out help as opposed to my avoidance coping mechanisms. I'd do the same thing, but I don't know if I feel ready to talk about it right now.

Still, I make an empty promise that I'll go see Hound Dog to get Ashido to stop talking to me and then go walk into the forest after school. I don't feel like going home yet to see Naomi. It'll only serve as a reminder of who's not there.

"Are you ever not out here now?" A tired voice pierces through my tumultuous mind.

"Are you ever not out here in general?" I sass back, turning to the purple-haired offender with a roll of my eyes.

His lips quirk into a smile as suddenly my mind is blank. It's blissfully, peacefully blank. I've learned how to combat Shinsou's brainwashing with an exhaustive bout of mental fighting, but this afternoon I don't want to. I just close my eyes to let the darkness aid the empty feeling in my mind.

That's when Shinsou seems to realize there's a problem. My thoughts flood back and I drop to my bottom, pulling my knees to my chest and tucking my forehead on them. Why'd you stop? I think. Why couldn't you just keep all of my memories away? To make the world go away for a little while longer...

"You didn't fight back, Sunshine." He comments softly, sitting down beside me in the grass. "That's not normal for you. Did something happen today?"

Right...Shinsou's still in General Studies. He hasn't shifted to the Hero Track yet. He wouldn't be close enough to anyone to know. I debate for a few moments if I should say anything, but ultimately decide we're close enough friends at this point to tell him.

"I guess it makes sense you wouldn't know yet. Not many outside of my class do." I choke out a little laugh. It lacks my usual humor. "I got news several days ago that my grandpa died while in the Navy." I want to cry, but I don't feel like it. I don't know that I have the energy anymore.

He doesn't make a sound, but I feel the tension in his arms. There's a long pause, not that I blame him. After all, how does one respond to that?

"Did my quirk give you a little break?" He asks after a moment. His arm gently wraps around my shoulders.

"Yeah." I breathe, once again hit with serenity when he brainwashes me and my mind quiets.

"Go ahead and get out a good cry." Shinsou whispers to me. Normally, I would fight this order. Shoot, my body even takes a second's pause like it's deciding whether to comply. But all of my sorrow suddenly combines together and splashes out of me onto his shoulder. "I'll keep you safe." He says as his hand strokes the back of my head and his other arm wraps around me.

Blissful, brainwashed fog swirls in my head as my body slumps onto his shoulder to be held. With a blank mind, I'm able to find that release of grief and tears without holding on so tightly to the pain that accompanies it.

By the time all of my tears are spent, he lets my mind go but I stay tucked into his side. It's so warm. Don't leave me. It feels so good in his arms. I decide to give myself a brief reprieve from grief and imagine what a life would be like with him. More moments like this, whether sad or content, pulled close into his arms to soak in his comfort and offer my own in return.

"Do you think he'd be proud of me?" I whisper.

"Your grandpa? For sure. I'm proud of you, and I rarely admit that to anybody." Shinsou says, shocking me abruptly. His shoulders shake with a snicker. "I mean it. I don't think I've ever seen someone work as hard as you do at helping others feel better, making sure they're alright, and at the same time juggling all of your own responsibilities and emotions. I can barely throw my scarf properly. But you," He pauses and I turn to look up at him. "You learn so quickly. You have the uncanny ability to take your weaknesses and reflect on them to immediately turn them into a strength. It's...nearly inhuman. I love that about you."

His words flood me with warmth and I sigh, relaxing.

"I appreciate that." And I mean it. "Is it okay if I stay here for a little while...with you?"

"I would never leave you to deal with this alone."

----------------------------------------------------

Endnotes: At the end of each one-shot, I will include the dialogue and/or action prompt that I used, as I have compiled a list over the years and use it as a writing exercise.

Dialogue Prompt: 2,022. "I'll keep you safe."

Action Prompt: [BURY] - Shinsou guides a crying Ichijiku into a protective embrace, cupping the back of her head and guiding it towards his chest to give her some privacy to cry in peace.