5. Unexpected Tragedy

Xiao Zhan's POV,

As I packed my belongings, a sense of irritation simmered beneath the surface. Why should I have to tiptoe around Uncle Yibo's feelings? It's not like I asked to be married off to him. But no, I'm the one who has to make all the concessions while he gets to play the victim.

I scoffed as I surveyed the room, my belongings strewn haphazardly across the floor. This wasn't how I envisioned my life after marriage. I should be living in luxury, not squabbling over who gets to sleep where.

But as I glanced around at the chaos I had caused, a twinge of guilt crept into my chest. Maybe I had been too harsh on Uncle Yibo. After all, he didn't ask for this marriage any more than I did.

With a sigh, I pushed aside my pride and resolved to make things right. If moving to another room would appease him, then so be it. I could always use a change of scenery anyway.

But as I made my way through the apartment, I couldn't shake the feeling of emptiness that gnawed at my insides. Despite my best efforts to convince myself otherwise, I couldn't deny that Uncle Yibo's absence left a void in my life.

But I quickly brushed aside such sentimental thoughts. I didn't need him except for his father's money. I had my career, my independence. I didn't need anyone else to define my happiness.

As I settled into the new room, a sense of unease lingered in the air. But I pushed it aside, burying it beneath layers of arrogance and bravado. I didn't need anyone else's approval. I was Xiao Zhan, and I could handle anything life threw my way.

As I lay in bed, the events of the day replayed in my mind like a broken record. Try as I might, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled over me like a heavy blanket.

I tossed and turned, trying in vain to find a comfortable position. But no matter how I contorted my body, sleep eluded me. It was as if my mind refused to shut off, endlessly churning over the events of the day.

I couldn't understand why I felt so restless. After all, I had done nothing wrong. It was Uncle Yibo who should be feeling guilty, not me.

But despite my best efforts to push aside the nagging doubts, they persisted, taunting me with their insistent whispers. Was I really as blameless as I liked to believe?

With a frustrated sigh, I threw off the covers and sat up, running a hand through my disheveled hair. Maybe a change of scenery would help clear my mind.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and padded quietly out of the room, careful not to disturb the silence that hung heavy in the air. As I made my way through the apartment, I couldn't shake the feeling of emptiness that clung to me like a shadow.

But as I stepped out onto the balcony and gazed out at the city skyline, a sense of calm washed over me. The twinkling lights of the city below seemed to whisper promises of a new beginning, a fresh start.

And as I stood there, bathed in the soft glow of the moonlight, I made a silent vow to myself, not to behave like that with him anymore.

As the clock ticked past 1 am, the city below seemed to slumber in peaceful oblivion. Yet, here I stood, alone on the balcony, my thoughts swirling like a tempest in my mind.

I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that creeped up at my insides. Where was Mr. Wang? Why hadn't he returned home yet? Was he out there somewhere, lost and alone?

Despite my frustration with him, a bit of concern tugged at my heartstrings. I may not have understood him, but that didn't mean I wished him any harm.

With a sigh, I turned away from the city lights and retreated back inside the apartment. The silence felt suffocating now, a stark reminder of my own solitude.