CHAPTER 3: The Challenge

Comenzar desde el principio

Sucking in a sharp breath, I placed the morsel of bread and egg into my mouth while Grace and Analia dug into their food. I was just relishing the warm taste when the big doors behind the left end of the table burst open.

Thundering footsteps echoed off the wall as a tall figure entered the dining room followed by numerous other people. I could smell fresh soapy scent fill the air as I gulped down my food before even chewing it. Analia and Grace had placed down their utensils before even slicing into their food and looked surprised at the intrusion.

Liam, my assigned mate, dressed in a white V-neck shirt that hugged his broad muscular body too neatly on top of his dark jean-clad legs came walking past the long table and over to his chair at the head of the table. I was stunned to see him again in all his dark glory, because the moment he sat down was when my knife and fork fell out of my clumsy hands, clinking against the wooden table with a loud smack.

The chorus of voices that were beginning to diminish stopped all at once, and all eyes turned to stare at me. Biting my lip I forced a smile. "Sorry," I murmured but did not bother glancing at Liam whose dark eyes bore into my right cheek.

Everybody said "It's okay" in unison while taking their respective chairs, making me feel a little relieved.

"It's not too early to act like a Luna," I heard his loud and deep voice break the soft mumbling in the room, making me flinch when my fingertips hovered over my fork. Glancing in his direction, I noticed him glancing at the servants with one raised brow, forcing them to hurry in their footsteps to serve him his breakfast. After he was served, all the other pack members were getting served, the room pin silent all the while, gauging my face for a reaction.

"How are you so early today, this has never hap-" Grace began to change the topic quickly.

"It's not too late to apologize to your Luna," I butted in, my fear subsiding as I stared holes into his face, which to my utter annoyance was gleaming under the ray of sunlight that broke through the glass roof panels.

He too stopped in his actions with his eating utensils in his hand. Liam looked up from his plate and just stared at me for a full minute. Although my eyes refused to break the glare, my toes were curling in my slippers.

All the people who were sitting around the table, whom I did not even get a chance to acknowledge and greet politely, were watching the drama unfold with held breath. There was too much tension.

Analia cleared her throat, maybe to get Liam's attention, but he wasn't giving her any.

"What should I be apologizing for?" He asked me simply, tilting his head to the side as his jaw ticked.

Rolling my eyes, I stated loudly and without shame, "For chomping on my neck without permission!" It's as if my skin was all-hearing because the mark on my collarbone buzzed in excitement.

There was a devious glint in his eyes when he replied, "I had to complete the blood bond."

My chest rose and fell as my hands turned into fists. I can still remember the uproar of the crowd when he sucked on my blood until I collapsed last night. "No werewolf last night bit into their assigned mate's neck except for you, and nor did anyone faint from the aftermath like me," I firmly said, trying to prove my point.

"And no one walked away with more power than me last night," he slowly smirked, and my eyes for a moment narrowed on his lips. Those same lips had glistened with my blood last night. "The more blood is consumed, the more power I get as an Alpha. I guess no other Alpha or Beta is willing to lead their pack as powerfully as I intend to. I will go to any extent to bring power to this pack..." his voice was raised an octave, but I wasn't intimidated for some unknown reason. "...and if that requires munching down on your neck, I will gladly do that whenever need be." It seemed like he had finished stating his perspective because the next second, he was slicing into his food and urging everyone to do the same.