vii. top of the world

Her mother didn't visit her that night, which was an incredible relief to Angela

Her mother didn't visit her that night, which was an incredible relief to Angela. Her body felt heavy as she slept, and while she was aware that she was asleep, she was aware the whole time. At about four in the morning, she woke up as though by some external force. She felt weighted, her bones stung.

Her clothes felt wet, as though she had just stepped out of the lake, dragging her towards the ground. Angela stepped out of her bed and immediately fell to the floor, head dropping between her knees. She could feel her bones in her skin, and she felt like the skin was about to melt off.

She could hear voices outside the cabin, probably one of the hunters coming to make sure she was awake so they could leave. She'd packed her backpack already before dinner the night before, and her clothes were folded on the end of her bed.

Angela dragged herself up and the world shifted under her feet before everything aligned and she suddenly felt fine. Her eyes still burned in the four AM light as she got dressed.

She was surprised that she still hadn't been summoned by the time she grabbed her things and made her way over to the Big House, where she assumed they'd be gathering for the quest.

This happened very often, moreso whenever she was in New York. Last summer once she'd returned from the Sea of Monsters, she'd had day-long headaches. She'd gotten back to camp and Chiron had called Molly, telling her that Angela probably needed to go to the doctor. Once she'd arrived back in North Carolina, though, they cleared up immediately.

Sometimes she'd have dreams about the gods, and that day she'd need to skip school because of how dizzy she would get, but this was the worst it had been since the summer.

Zoë was standing outside with Thalia and Bianca when she approached. Zoë and Thalia seemed to be arguing, but Bianca nudged Zoë and she fell silent. "Angela," she said, clenched look on her face. "Just in time. You and Thalia should alert Chiron about our departure."

Angela frowned. "What about Phoebe?" The third hunter was nowhere to be found.

Zoë's face darkened. "Chiron is inside," she pointed at the big house.

Thalia grabbed Angela's arm. It hurt. "Thank you, we'll go get him."

Angela shook Thalia's iron-class grip off her once they were inside. "What was that?"

Thalia looked offended at her tone, rolling her eyes. Angela was moreso impressed that she'd applied eyeliner this early in the morning. The sun was emerging over the valley with the strength of a small child trying to haul themselves out of a swimming pool. "Don't pick a fight, branches."

Angela softened. It was early, they were both exhausted. Just because she hadn't been sleeping didn't mean she had the right to be snippy. "That's unlike you."

Thalia rolled her eyes again, this time with more affection. "Zoë had a dream. She told me not to tell you, but screw that. She had a dream a few nights ago." She let Thalia recount the events of Zoë's dream, not bothering to mention that Percy had already told her.