Prologue

Amara
Cárloz

PAPA doesn't hesitate as he unleashes the revolting news to me. But as the heiress of the Cárloz's daughter, I had no choice.

"You have no choice but to marry him, for if you dare to defy him, Morozóv will not be pleased. The rumors have reached your ears," Papa warns, his voice filled with concern.

I simply nod, understanding the gravity of the situation. Papa has worked for Morozóv himself, and any act of disobedience from me would result in dire consequences for him. I have encountered Aiden Morozóv a few times before, during the yearly meetings where proposals for his mafia are discussed.

The thought of being engaged to him sends shivers down my spine. He is a terrifying man, with his dark and captivating features. The rumors surrounding him are even more chilling. The media portrays him as a monster, and although I once believed there was goodness within him, I now realize I was mistaken.

And to add to my apprehension, he is nine years my senior, with a wealth of experience that surpasses mine.

During the engagement party, Aiden Morozóv made it abundantly clear that I am nothing more than a trophy wife. Perhaps that is the role I am destined to play for the rest of my life, but I yearn for something different.

Yet, it seems that change is an elusive concept.

"I want to ensure that we are on the same page, Amara," he says, slipping the ring onto my finger. "You will be the perfect wife your Father promised, and I will be the proper husband. I expect an heir in a few years," he murmurs, his words hanging heavily in the air.

I swallow hard, nodding in agreement.

Do I even have the freedom to breathe?

My hand trembles as he forcefully grabs it, sliding the ring into place. "Why are you shaking?" his voice demands, his eyes piercing into mine.

"I'm cold," I manage to whisper, my voice barely audible. His gaze intensifies, sensing my lie.

"Do not lie to me, Amara. Now, speak the truth," he commands, his tone leaving no room for hesitation.

"A husband should be loving. If I am to be a mere trophy wife, can I at least expect decency from you? Judging by your reputation, I doubt you possess any," I blurt out, unable to contain my thoughts any longer.

Aiden nods slowly, his expression inscrutable. "Tell me what you have heard."

Of course, he would know.

I hesitate, the weight of my words heavy upon me.

"I will not ask again."

Father's words echoed in my mind, a chilling reminder of the consequences of disobedience. "I knew this day would come," I manage to whisper, my voice barely audible. "But I won't stand for any form of abuse. If you plan to hurt me, I'd rather face death than endure such torment."

The tension in the room is palpable, the guests waiting in anticipation. Aiden's grip on my hand tightens, his eyes filled with a mixture of concern and determination. "I have no intention of causing you harm, especially not physically. Your father will answer for his actions," he reassures me.

But my fear lingers, the uncertainty of what lies ahead. "Will you harm him in return?" I question, my voice trembling with fear.

Aiden's response is cold, his tone demanding obedience. "Stay out of matters that don't concern you, my dear." he says. "Know your place and abide by it," he warns before turning away, leaving me to contemplate the harsh reality of my situation.

As he walks away, a sense of resignation washes over me. "There's no escape from this marriage, no way out," I realize, the weight of my fate settling upon my shoulders like a heavy burden.

____