Eighth Chapter

After a couple of days, Brooke’s condition was way better than normal. It seems like she got a new attitude and it was very positive. No one knows what has gotten into her that made her act like what she does today but one thing’s for sure. George and Lacey are very happy to see that Brooke is back to her old self.

The three of them ate together. They had ham, bacon, fried eggs and bread for breakfast. George and Lacey both have coffee for their drinks while Brooke had hot chocolate. Once again, they seemed to be the perfect family that everybody else dreams of. They are rich. They are complete. They are happy.

“Brooke, I hope you don’t mind me asking but what happened? Why did you change all of a sudden?” Lacey asked Brooke.

“Hmm. Let’s just say that Agnes made me realize things that I never knew before. She’s really a good girl and she influenced me so much. I really love her.” Brooke answered back with a smile.

“Oh. That makes me wonder.”

“Wonder about what?”

“Well, you see, Agnes’ parents need to go to Canada for a month and unfortunately, they can’t bring Agnes along.” Lacey stopped talking which cause Brooke to get uneasy. She was tapping her shoes on the floor and she was playing with her food already.

“And then?”

“Make a guess.”

“Ugh. I hate guessing. Please spill the beans, Mom!”

“Alright. I’ll tell you the details after school. I promise! Now, move and you’ll be late for your first class.” Brooke just pouted and didn’t stand up. She wanted to know everything before going to school but Lacey didn’t tell her. Instead, Lacey just continued eating and walked with George while going out of their house to go to their office.

Brooke didn’t have any choice left so she stood up and went to school. While on her way to school, she can’t help but think of what would happen to Agnes. As much as possible, she wanted to bond with Agnes more but she doesn’t know if that could happen if Agnes won’t be staying with them. But Brooke kept her hopes up and wished that Agnes would be living with them even just for a month.

The moment Brooke went out of her car and walked in their school, everybody stopped whatever they were doing and looked at her. Yes, Brooke loves getting the attention of the people around her but this one crept her out. This is far way different from the attention that they have given her before. 

Brooke is not sure if that is a good sign but she’s just hoping for the best. She walked some more until finally, one of her friends approached her and gave her a hug.

“I missed you. What on earth has gotten into you that you tried to kill yourself huh?! I told you we should die together! Ugh.”

“I missed you too. Stop worrying already. I’m alright and I’m back.” Brooke said with a smile.

“Aww. Wait. How come it seems like you aura has changed?”

“What do you mean?”

“You know what I mean you b!tch. You’re not b!tchy at all today. It seems like you’re so…positive.”

“Oh. That one. Hahaha.”

“What’s with that laugh? Don’t tell me.” Then Brooke’s friend whispered something in her ear.

“No way! It’s just because of my cousin Agnes. Okay?”

“Whatever you say.” Brooke’s friend said and rolled her eyes.

The two of them continued walking until they reached their “spot” in their school. Everybody got silent when they saw Brooke back. The silence became so awkward until Brooke finally decided to break it.

“Hey guys! How are you doing?”

“B-Brooke, y-you’re b-back.” One of Brooke’s friends said after stopping their “small” business there.

“Of course I am back and I’m glad to be here again.”

“Uhm. L-Let m-me e-explain B-Brooke.”

“What’s the explanation for? If you like Chris over here I’m cool with it. Besides, my parents hate him so much. I’m too tired with our useless relationship.” Brooke calmly said those words which caused more awkward silence but Brooke didn’t mind that and instead, she just glanced on her watch and continued talking.

“Oopsies. It’s nearly 8 am. Gotta go. I don’t want to be late for my first class. See you later.” Brooke said with a smile and then, she left.

“What’s with her?” Chris, Brooke’s boyfriend, rather ex-boyfriend, asked.

“I dunno. Go ahead and ask her. Gotta go as well. Bye!”

Indeed, things have been very different from the way Brooke acted before. She’s into this positive side of things already. Whatever the reason may be, it just made her friends love her more and her enemies somehow turned into her friends already.

After their class, Chris stopped Brooke from going out of the room.

“Hey. Let go of me. I need to get home ASAP.”

“I just want to talk, okay?”

“We could talk but please, let go of my arm.” Chris dropped Brooke’s arm and took a seat. Brooke sat down as well.

“So, what is it that you want to talk about?”

“Are you really sure that you want to break up with me?”

“Oh, please. Do I really need to repeat that all over again so that it would finally sink in to your brain? Listen, as much as possible, I don’t want to be rude or b!tchy or whatever. I just want to do what’s best for me and that includes breaking up with you. So yeah, I’m sure that I want to break up with you. Is it clear already cause I really need to go home now.”

“Uhm. Yeah.”

“Alright. See you tomorrow.” Brooke said with a smile and hurried out the door.

After walking so fast, Brooke was put into a stop when someone bumped into her. Brooke fell down and got her things scattered all over.

“Hey, are you alright? I’m so sorry. I’m really in a hurry. Let me help you.” The stranger that bumped Brooke helped her with her things and in standing up as well. 

“Yeah, I’m fine. Thanks for the help.” Brooke said without even looking at the person who bumped and helped her.

“I’m Luke Nichols and you are?”

“Brooke Mitchells. Uhm. Look. As much as I want to continue this getting-to-know-you phase I really need to go. See you around.” Brooke started walking but then Luke stopped her.

“Wait.”

“What?” Brooke turned around and looked at Luke.

“Are you really Brooke Mitchells?”

“Yeah. If you don’t want to believe me it’s fine. Look. I really, really need to go. Thanks again for the help.” Brooke waved her hand and left. 

“It seems like she can’t remember me anymore. *sigh*