viii ━ i'm from hell, honey

Start from the beginning

Jason and Rebecca looked at each other again, she smiled, he rolled his eyes.

"You'd better help him up," Rebecca said.

Lit cried, "Dad, no!"

Too late. Midas put his hand on his son's shoulder, and suddenly a very angry-looking gold statue was sitting on Midas's throne.

"Curses!" Midas wailed. "That was a naughty trick, demigods. I'll get you two for that." He patted Lit's golden shoulder. "Don't worry, son. I'll get you down to the river right after I collect this prize."

Midas raced forward. Jason and Rebecca dodged, but the old man was fast, too.

Jason kicked the coffee table into the old man's legs and knocked him over, but Midas wouldn't stay down for long.

Rebecca threw at him all the object she could find, pillows, shoes, a piece of gold.

Suddenly the air pressure dropped so rapidly that his ears popped. Midas must've felt it too, because he stumbled to his feet and grabbed his donkey ears.

"Ow! What are you doing?" he demanded. "My power is supreme here!"

Thunder rumbled. Outside, the sky turned black.

"You know another good use for gold?" Jason said.

Midas raised his eyebrows, suddenly excited. "Yes?"

"It's an excellent conductor of electricity."

Jason raised his javelin, and the ceiling exploded. A lightning bolt ripped through the roof like it was an eggshell, connected with the tip of Jason's spear, and sent out arcs of energy that blasted the sofas to shreds.

Chunks of ceiling plaster crashed down. The chandelier groaned and snapped offits chain, and Midas screamed as it pinned him to the floor. The glass immediately turned into gold.

Rebecca screamed, and covered her head.

When the rumbling stopped, freezing rain poured into the building.

Midas cursed in Ancient Greek, thoroughly pinned under his chandelier. The rain soaked everything, turning the gold chandelier back to glass.

Piper and Leo were slowly changing too, along with the other statues in the room.

Then the front door burst open, and Coach Hedge charged in, club ready. His mouth was covered with dirt, snow, and grass.

"What'd I miss?" he asked.

"Where were you?" Rebecca demanded.

"I was screaming for help." Jason snapped, slightly angry.

Hedge belched. "Getting a snack. Sorry. Who needs killing?"

"No one, now!" Jason said. "Just grab Leo. I'll grab Piper."

Rebecca's curly hair was getting wetter by moments."And me?"

Jason looked at her, as if he didn't know what to make out of the girl, as if she were another piece in a puzzle.

"Grab the bag."