Chapter 54: Holding Hands

Start from the beginning

"Great," I breathed. "One more thing for people to talk about. This shifting thing was enough anymore."

Case slid lower in his seat. "It's kind of a big deal. You're used to being around alphas and top-ranking dominants. Bruce is a high-profile werewolf, not just in Midfield and Northern Ridge. He comes from major bloodlines from Northern Ridge, and as you know, he's Jet's grandson."

"Who doesn't?" I muttered. "Whatever future pups I have will have Jet's blood, so I might as well be part of that line too."

"True." Case tapped his finger. "Very true." He hit my arm. "Let's eat. You need a pick-me-up."

Nodding, I stood. "Sounds good. The pool can wait."

***

I headed out of the locker room to the stands. It was a good starting meet to begin the season. Smoothing my hair out of my face, I hurried to where my family was waiting.

"Good job, Rue." My mother hugged me. "Your dad said congrats on the win. I video-called him when you were swimming."

"You killed everyone," said Drake.

"It was a starter meet. We're trying to get back into the swing of things," I replied.

My grandpa moved in for a hug. "Times were decent."

"Thanks." I noticed Bruce standing in the background with another man who was constantly tugging on his shirt.

Bruce stepped forward. "You did great. It was fun to watch."

"Let's hope. We have a long season ahead."

"Can we go?" said the man beside him. "I'm done playing human."

"Academy rules," I breathed. "Sorry." I moved closer to my family.

My grandpa cleared his throat. "Who's your friend?"

"Oh, um..." Bruce motioned to the man with dark brown hair and skin. "This is my beta, Heath."

He nodded. "I was sent to babysit."

Bruce hit him. "Knock it off. Wait outside if you're going to be an ass."

"Happily." Heath grinned and wandered off to the exit.

"Your beta?" I asked.

"He seems nice," piped in my mom.

Drake scoffed as he shared looks with our sister.

Bruce sighed. "He's not thrilled about having to come."

"He's here to babysit you." My sister eyed me. "Already getting hot and heavy, Rudy?"

My mouth fell open. "No, no, we're not. We haven't even held hands. Why is everyone jumping to extremes?!"

"Everyone?" Drake smirked at me. "So, it's becoming a pattern?"

"No, it's not. You're all so annoying." I marched past them for the exit. "Thanks for coming, but I'm busy."

I didn't have to stick around and deal with them. I'd go back to my room. Heath was standing at the door, texting on his phone. He did look up as I passed.

"I didn't come all this way for two hours."

Stopping midstep, I let out a sigh. My family was being annoying, but he was right. Ditching Bruce wouldn't go over well if my uncle found out. We were supposed to spend time together at the mansion this weekend. Turning around, I took a deep breath. I stood there for an uncomfortable amount of time.

"Are you going to text him?" asked Heath.

"I thought you were."

"Why would I? He's not my fiance." He folded his arms. "I'm tired. I work all week only to babysit on my weekend, so let's get this moving."

Glaring at him, I took out my phone and texted Bruce to come out. I turned away from Heath and watched the cars leave. Bruce could have left his beta home. We didn't need a babysitter. We hadn't even held hands. I flexed my fingers—not properly. He put his on top of mine that one day at the lookout, but that didn't count as holding hands.

The doors swung open, and Bruce forced a smile. My family waved at me as they headed for the parking lot.

"Um... Ready to go?"

"Yes." Heath followed the others.

"Sorry about him," said Bruce. "My mom forced him to come. Direct order—I said he didn't need to, but she wasn't having it. Her general side was coming out, so I didn't push it."

"Why does she think we need a babysitter?" I arched a brow. "We haven't even kissed."

Bruce swallowed hard. "I know; I explained that to her. I told them we weren't at that level. I'm not looking to push this—I wasn't planning on forcing anything. We can wait until we're comfortable, you're comfortable, more importantly." He laughed nervously. "So, so should we go?"

Nodding, I walked over and held out my hand. "I suck at this. I know I suck at this, so be patient with me, and I'll keep trying."

Bruce intertwined his fingers with mine and grinned. "I'm fine with that."

"Alright, now we've held hands."

A smile slipped out as he nodded. "Yes, yes, we have, and I'll take it."

_____________________

Feel free to Link, Comment, and Share! Full Story is complete on Patreon (link on my profile); more is available on Radish Fiction.