The man's eyes lit up when he saw Shen Tang. "Oh my, is this your girlfriend? She's so pretty."

Shen Tang suppressed the displeasure in her heart and greeted him.

Simply because the way he looked at her was too lustful - not the way an elder looks at a junior, but the way a man looks at a woman.

Gu Huaian took two steps forward to shield Shen Tang. "Uncle Zhou, we have other matters to attend to, so we'll take our leave first."

Although he didn't really want them to leave so soon, he still felt somewhat intimidated by Gu Huaian, so he forced out an easygoing laugh. "Let's catch up some other time then. By the way, have you seen Lianlian? Where has that girl run off to!"

Apparently he was unaware of what had just transpired.

It was hard to say if he truly didn't know or if he was feigning ignorance.

"We've seen her. We'll get going first." Gu Huaian said, then pulled Shen Tang by the hand and headed out.

Gu Yun'an and Cen Songbai followed closely behind.

As he watched their retreating backs, Zhou's facade slowly crumbled away and he spat in disdain.

...

YOYO had just taken a hot shower. Her head still felt faint and she suspected she might be running a fever.

Zhou Qinglian felt guilty. "I'm sorry, YOYO. I didn't think she would actually—"

"I don't blame you. It was my choice to help you."

Hearing this, Zhou Qinglian's eyes instantly reddened. "What do you mean by that?"

"Are you having regrets?"

YOYO turned her face away without directly answering the question.

"Didn't you notice how Gu Huaian was looking at Shen Tang?"

Zhou Qinglian's expression changed instantly. How could she not have noticed!

Ever since Gu Huaian arrived, his eyes had been fixed on Shen Tang the entire time. The fondness in his eyes was something she had never seen before.

That's right - fondness.

She also felt that she probably didn't stand a chance anymore, but how would she know for sure if she didn't try?

She was unwilling, unwilling to just give up like this.

YOYO sighed. "Sister Lian, please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you should just give up. President Gu, he... anyway, you have no chance."

Zhou Qinglian pursed her lips stubbornly.

After a period of silence, she finally spoke. "You know my family circumstances. I have countless half-siblings. If I don't pave a way out for myself, I have no prospects for the second half of my life. Do you have the heart to watch me marry an old man, or go wash dishes for others?"

YOYO's heart softened once more.

She had grown up together with Zhou Qinglian since childhood, and they had a deep bond. She also understood the messy affairs in the Zhou family.

If Zhou Qinglian didn't find a backer, her father would marry her off to further the family's interests.

The only other path was to forfeit her status and flee, condemning herself to a commoner's life of salt, oil, vinegar and tea for the next half of her life.

People like them were pampered and spoilt. They wouldn't be able to withstand such hardship. Just the thought of having to swallow chaff and vegetables in the future was even more unbearable than death.