Nineteen Years Later

Beginne am Anfang

Harry laughed. 'Not in them, taking them.'

'What are detentions?' Again, she carefully said the word.

'One of the boys I teach had been naughty. I gave him an hour's extra work after school so he lost a bit of his free time after school hours and had to come to class, just him and me.'

She perked up and looked at him again. 'Can I do that, when I come to Hogwarts? Can I come and have a special lesson with you? Just you and me?'

Harry smiled, 'it's not really a special lesson. It's a punishment. He had to write an essay that he really didn't want to. It ended up taking longer because he messed around at the beginning and refused to write it to start off with.'

'What's an essay?'

'Like a story. You know when your teachers ask you to write about the book you're reading or learning history or whatever.'

'Oh, what was it about?'

'About the history of magic and its origins in people.'

'I don't understand,' Lily said, resting her head sleepily on his shoulder again.

'There's a question of where magic came from, who was the first person to be magic and the obvious probability that they were Muggleborn and that magical lines at some moment all came from a Muggleborns.'

'Oh, so are you teaching the boy that it doesn't matter whether someone is a Pureblood or a Muggleborn.'

'You're very clever, my little Lily,' Harry smiled. 'That's exactly it.'

'It's better to love everyone, even Tommy Parkins.'

'Who is Tommy Parkins?' Harry's eyes narrowed quizzically.

'A new boy in my class. Tommy Parkins keeps stealing my pencil case.'

'I see. Perhaps he wants to be your friend but doesn't know how to ask.'

Lily lifted her head and looked at Harry doubtfully. 'Shall I try talking to him on Monday at school?'

'Well, what will you say?'

'Do you want to be my friend?'

'That's certainly one approach. I suppose it's worth a try but if he sneers or laughs don't take it personally, sometimes we get these things wrong first time around.'

'Like you and papa?'

'Exactly like me and your daddy,' Draco drawled from the doorway where he'd been silently watching the exchange, his handsome face soft with fondness.

Harry immediately walked to Draco and they gave each other a quick kiss on the lips to say hello. Harry couldn't help hitching Lily onto his hip and reaching out with his spare hand to touch Draco's pale cheek, he looked tired. He showed it too as he momentarily leant into Harry's touch and briefly closed his eyes.

'I don't think I want to marry Tommy Parkin,' said Lily.

'You don't have to make any decisions about that until you're a lot older,' said Harry with a frown.

'Daddy's getting all protective over his little girl,' Draco smiled at his husband as he reached out to take Lily from Harry's arms. 'Are you going to hang up your coat and put your briefcase away?' he chided lightly.

Harry didn't relinquish his hold on Lily, though he vaguely waved a hand in the direction of his things and his wandless magic sent the coat soaring to the coat hook and the briefcase snapped into position next to the shoe rack. He also toed off his boots and sent them to the space so they were tidied away.