[2] tagged

"THE TAGGER"
1x02

Jo's eyes were fixed on the screen

Her data didn't look any different than an hour ago, and she was getting more tired by the minute. She knew that getting back into the routine of a 9-5 job would be hard, but she didn't think it'd be so boring.

"This is all of them?", she asked Rosa, who looked about as done as Jo felt, and only grunted in response. "It's all I got too. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing a pattern", Jo figured, stifling a yawn.

Rosa didn't look up, "Yeah"

"You've got to be kidding me", Jo shook her head. "Wish I was", Rosa shrugged. She looked the numbers over once more, frowning. "There is no way we're processing this many people in two weeks"

Rosa frowned, "We're not. It's been a month". Jo stopped short, dumbfounded. Rosa was right, she'd been at the 99 for a month now, all without noticing. It had only occurred to her just now. That shouldn't be a big deal and it wasn't. Yet somehow, the realization made her feel odd. Like she was forgetting something.

"Huh", she shrugged, more forcibly than she'd anticipated, "Time flies, doesn't it?"

"No," Rosa huffed, crossing her arms, "Feels like I was born on this stupid planet yesterday". That figures, Jo thought to herself, but didn't say anything. She went back to her data. Still the same.

"Heyho!", someone beamed. She didn't need to look to know who it was, she knew a Jake Peralta greeting when she heard one. After a month, that was pretty much inevitable. "What do you want?", Jo asked, not looking up from the screen, "Lost your undies, dirty file?".

"No, it's right here!"

Her head snapped to him so fast, she probably couldn't have stopped herself if she tried. Only to see his hands empty and a satisfied look on his face. "Fooled ya! I knew that would work on you", he grinned. Jo rolled her eyes, "Funny"

"Right?"

"What do you want?", she asked again. His face cleared up, "Right, so you know Algernon?". Jo watched in horror as he pulled a mouse out of his pocket. "He needs a new home—"

"No", she cut him off, scooting her chair farther away from him, "Get that thing away from me". He pulled the mouse back, shielding it in his hands, "Don't talk about my son like that".

"I will feed him to my cat"

"Don't listen to her", he whispered to Algernoth, giving her a near scandalised look. She shook her head, "You're an idiot"

The briefing room was packed, the mood damp. It was still Monday morning, and it showed. Jo was ready to doze off again, if it hadn't been for Charles Boyle. For some reason, he'd made it a habit to sit next to her outside of the desk seating arrangement. She wouldn't have a problem with it either, had it not been for him talking her ear off again and again. She was almost relieved when the morning briefing started.