Close Encounters

Harlow
2024

As the car pulled up to the hotel I noticed how beautiful the building was. It was absolute luxury. I had never had the opportunity to stay somewhere this nice back when I lived in this city.

The assistant got out the car and opened my door. As I stepped onto the pavement camera lights flashed. They had somehow figured out where I was staying. Hotel staff emerged from the building blocking the cameras as I was quickly escorted into the building. Everything moved smoothly and systematically. If there was a constant fuss like this the whole trip it would be difficult to have any private time to see any old friends. I rubbed my temples. I'll have to figure out something with Biyu.

As we moved through the lobby the hotel manager introduced themselves and quickly whisked us through the busy lobby to an elevator.

Once behind the suite doors I could finally breathe a sigh of relief. As Biyu unpacked the bags I showered. Once I got the airplane grime off of me I felt like I could breathe.

"Biyu were you able to get me a SIM card for my phone that I can use for the next few weeks." I asked. I just know when I turn my phone on there'd be so many alerts.

"Of course. One moment while I grab it." Biyu handed me the card and I loaded it into my phone. As my phone turned on so many notifications came through at once. I sent a bunch of messages out letting everyone know I arrived safe and made a quick call to Yichen to check on Rosie. Unfortunately there was no answer so I just shot him a quick text saying goodnight to him and Rosie and to let me know if there were any problems.

With that I put my phone in my pocket. I Grabbed my camera, pulled my hat down low and headed for the door. Over my shoulder I yelled, "Biyu, I'm leaving to meet a few old friends. Feel free to head home since I won't need anything for the next couple of days". Before she could protest I was out the door and down the hall.

Standing in front of the elevator doors I swiped through all the photos of Rosie in the garden on my camera. As the doors slid open I didn't bother to look up before stepping in. I got on and pushed the already lit button for the lobby. As the door closed I pulled out my phone and responded to Xu (Shu) Li's voice message telling me to hurry up. "Okay okay Jie (friendly way to address a girl older than you or older sister)! I'm leaving the hotel now. I just have to find a way to get away from the reporters. Give me twenty minutes." With that I shoved my phone back in my pocket.

As the doors to the elevator slid open the two gentlemen on the other side of the elevator extended there hands signaling for me to get off first. I nodded my head and responded with a gentle thank you and swiftly left the elevator. Heading straight to the desk I quietly asked the receptionist if there was another exit I could use that wouldn't be surrounded by reporters.

The receptionist eyebrows lifted in surprise as she recognized me. "Of course Ms. Taylor. Right this way." I followed her as we used the staff entrance. As I emerged out the back of the building with perfect timing a taxi drove up.

I told the driver where to go as I bristled with excitement about seeing my old friend.